Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

is hanging a stand a pain

Old 07-21-2004, 06:30 PM

Default RE: is hanging a stand a pain

I've always used either a climbing stand or ladder stand so far.... but was thinking of a hang-on stand potentially too. I was curious about the best way to do this too but after reading some replies, I was wondering how this would work: hang an extra step with a pulley or some similiar device above where the stand is to go, then pull the stand up into position by pulling the rope down, and finally tie the rope off to hold it in place while you fasten the stand to the tree? (Visualize the way car engines are changed with the engine hoist).
Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you take a portable drill and predrill your holes all will go quicker and easier.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

deerhunter1224
I use the Hunters View tree stand hoist it is a locking hoist system that will also hold the stand while you strap it to the tree. It's pretty simple you might be able to make a homemade one.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Spike

I am a little obcessive. I wear a harness that helps keep my hands free. I also use a portable drill when I am using screw-ins. Finally, I have a chain I put around the tree with a pully on it. I usually put the chain above the stand position. I can either climb down and hoist the stand or can do it from the tree. I then tie off the rope and I have both hands to manuver the stand without having to manage the weight of teh stand. I think it works great. Really allows me to position teh stand as I want it and not as best as I can fit it. Whern I am done. the chain comes off and I am on to another position
Old 07-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It took me awhile to figure it out but, If you have a few extra steps, and you position them to your advantage, hanging stands is not hard at all. I have a system. If your tree leans at all one way or the other, NEVER position your steps so that the tree is leaning toward you as you climb, that makes it VERY hard and dangerous to climb, especially when dew is on the steps. If you put a step for each foot at the top it is relatively easy to stand and reach around the tree to hang a stand. Use a rope to pull it up. I'm in pretty good physical shape but I'm no atlas, and I hardly break a sweat when I put them up. Just take your time, being in a hurry can makes things hard in itself. Put your steps in a v configuration up the tree,
spreading them too wide around the tree makes things tough. If you think about it enough, alot of ideas will come to mind that make it easier.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now I see why you were asking about the telephone lineman's belt in your other post. There are certainly better tools for the job so to speak.

Seat o the Pants harness This can also be used like a lineman's belt and you get a harness to boot.

Tree Stand Hoist
Old 07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hanging stands can be awkward. I do like the others have mentioned and tie the pull up rope to my belt. One trick I have found for installing steps easier is to coat the threads with a light coat of vaseline. This makes them go in much easier and also helps with corrosion.