Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To the heart of a hunter.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default To the heart of a hunter.

Ok who here that hunt deer would still hunt them if bucks had no horns or all had the same size no matter what age?

Be honest.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:45 PM

Default RE: To the heart of a hunter.

I would gladly only hunt does if I could have a guarantied doe tag every year.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt deer to hunt ,a rack is just a bonus . I took 3 does last year no buck , 2 with the understanding that I would ONLY shoot a doe on that farm.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i sure would i love the hunt and as a young father my family depends on venison as a big part of our meat. Usually try to get three deer a year.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

I would. Deer taste too good to quit over no horns. Plus, the population would still need balancing out! So, Yes, I would still hunt.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:59 PM

I am new to deer hunting and the most exciting thing to me is just getting out and trying to find deer. I love just getting out and hunting anything i can. I would deffinitely still hunt if bucks did not have antlers. The first and only deer i shot last year was a two year old buck. I was so excited that i had a clean shot on a deer that i took him instead of waiting for anything bigger. His rack is puny, but i love it.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:01 AM

I don't care about the rack, I like the venison more.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:52 AM

Deer come with horns?? Well what do you do with those? Collect dust!? Wooow...

Of course I'd still hunt. Meat is meat hwther it's sporting a hat rack or not.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 AM

If you're just after a rack.......whats the point. If you're just out for meat go to Safeway. Hunting is about making memories in the outdoors with friends & the chase of game................the rest is the icing on that cake. Its a combination of a little bit of all of it, harvest cleanly what youre given a chance to, legally. When I was a kid hunting with my Dad I wanted to be the one who caught the fish & shot a deer. Now as years have gone by I know those hunts are getting fewer as the days go by, I'm still greedy...................I want to see my Dad catch the fish & shoot the deer. I've watched that man over the years land fish that shouldn't have been landed & make shots that should have been misses...........looking back now, all I can say is wow.

My most memorable day in the woods was I sat & watched a nice 8pt(eastern) for a while from my stand, he ate, played with does & laid down like a dog & went to sleep in this field(2 hours go by). My Dad asks "Son are you gonna shot him?" I said I'm thinking about it. I could have shot him 2,457 different ways during all off this time. I watched him get up after awhile & walk off 350 yds into the tree line without taking my safety off. Dad looked at me & said "WHY?" I said "Gorgeous buck but he aint going no where..............think of how impressive he'll be next year!" Dad said "Son your a bigger man than I am." He had the biggest rack I had ever seen on a whitetail that was alive & let him walk away.

Bottom line I would shoot a doe & I have if ts legal. If the land manager wants it done, ok. If I dont need the meat then I dont pull the trigger no matter buck or doe.

I would like to thank my Dad for taking the time to teach me how to hunt & most of all be a ethical hunter. Thanks Bud! *Can you see me now?*
Old 07-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like a good rack, just like anyone else, but I like the hunt and the venison more!

Quick Reply: To the heart of a hunter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.