Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To the heart of a hunter.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To the heart of a hunter.

I didn't know deer had horns, I thought they had antlers.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually hunt for a good racked buck when I hunt. Almost every day I hunt I can shoot a legal deer. We can shoot 2 per day, either two does or a doe and a buck (around 200 per year legally) and I have killed a LOT of deer, so the numbers thing isn't that much to me.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's call this the "Honest Hour" and in that case, I would continue to hunt deer but it wouldn't be quite the same. I love being in the woods, I hunt as hard as anyone I know and I am thrilled to punch my tag on any deer. BUT, there is something special in trying to outwit that magnificant whitetail buck. Some folks continue to say you cannot eat the antlers and that is very true. I hunt NH where any deer shot is special, but we all know walking up to a dead buck with a rack the size of ballbats and a body weight well over 200 pounds dressed is what dreams are made of.....
Old 07-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

It's about the expierence of being out their, and the life long memories your making. Plus horns don't taste very good. I would still hunt.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM

YES!!!!!ENOUGH SAID.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 PM

You can't eat antlers
Old 07-20-2004, 09:36 PM

If bucks didnt have horns then I probably wouldnt hunt. I might still shoot a deer once in a blue moon, but I wouldnt be nearly as serious and excited about hunting as I am now. But I would probably turn into a hardcore boar hunter.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

im a hardcore doe hunter here.......it dont matter to me......i try not to shoot small ones...only because id have 2 kill 2 small ones to get the same meat as one big one...antlers are nice......but i cant say i hunt for them......out of 6 deer only one was a buck so far.......and in 5 years hunting he was the only buck i seen while hunting.....the buck to doe ratio in the state is/was horrible....they say herd reduction and AR will help that.....we will see.....but id still hunt if there were no horns.....heck...far as im concerned there isnt any in pa now! lol........i am getting quiet decint at telling a good doe from a small one lol.....heck i did it on the run at 150yds away...made it nice there were other deer around i could pick the biggest out of in that situation....
Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I would still hunt, but as someone else already said, the extra adreniline rush of a big racked buck coming in would be missed.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ill hunt no matter what ive never shot a trophy deer and it wont hurt my feelings if i never do i hunt to hunt and enjoy the outdoors and if i shoot a Boone & Crockett buck then thats great but im plenty happy shooting a spike or doe and if i was only allowed to hunt doe for the rest of my life then so be it ill still be sitting in a tree hunting

Quick Reply: To the heart of a hunter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.