Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does "working" for your deer make it better?

Old 07-07-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does "working" for your deer make it better?

I stay outta my area till mid november........i know where the buck will be at every year. During october i hunt around it but never go into the hot spot until 10 days before the rut. Hunting there for 15 yrs i think i did enough scouting in those woods i have those deer patterned every year.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

im scouting and preparing all year....as a matter of fact its july and me and dad and his buddy are going to my dads buddys camp this weekend....and saturday after fishing we plan on scouting out a spot me and dad found a few months ago.....i spent about a month refinishing and making my flintlock better.....i bought a pretty nice hunting vehicle for a 17yr old....i shot my guns all year.....and scout tons of land so i always have options.....we will be some of the first to have our doe tags for the areas we want to hunt because we drive them up to the office and leave them right outside the door so they go right in first thing......some of our spots are miles(no lie) back in the woods(the ones that are miles in are fairly flat walks) and some are up pretty vertical hills.....one day we crossed a pretty big creek then climbed a hill that was 1400ft pretty vertical.....just to hunt deer on the TOP! lol...i rather be good then lucky....if you rely on luck you may never see a deer....we do as much as we can to ensure we see deer and have a good chance at filling our tags......one of my deer was luck....it was my second deer....me and dad were calling it a day after hunting all day in the cold december rain....and were descending a mountain...we were kinda just scouting for the next morning....well somone on the other side got up and kicked a deer our way and i shot it......thats about the luckiest ive ever been....i dont know that it feels any diffrent lucky or working hard...the kill kinda pays off for the hard work i put in all year....but i rather work hard....i love it all.....i got months of scouting to look forward to.....just for a lousy deer! i did feel great dragging a BIG doe and my first buck out of the woods by 9am opening morning of rifle season on stategame lands......smiling ear to ear...while i had a 2 mile drag out....the guys walking down the trail just kinda looked....took me and dad years to find that spot.....and it pays off every time we hunt it....i dont think we ever hunted it and didnt have a drag out.....
Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 AM

for me it is not just being there to get the deer i get to hunt the land that my grandpa left 4 me and look back on alot of memories of it i still climb into my stand early in the morning right from where me and grandpa use to sit on the ground [&:] and think back to the good ol days and to me it's about knowing the land and just being there to enjoy it