Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NE Iowa Help

Old 06-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Spike

Default NE Iowa Help

I drew a tag for the first shotgun hunt in unit 9 (Allamakee Co.) and since this will be my first time hunting there I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to let me know what to expect - hunter densities, what size buck not to pass on, best technique etc.
Thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Default RE: NE Iowa Help

I hunted Zone 9 in Iowa last year during the rut with my bow and had one of the best times in my life. We hunted along the Turkey River in some of the most incredible deer property I have ever seen. It is absolutely LOADED with big deer. Driving down the road in the middle of the day mature bucks were chasing does like rabbits across peoples front yards, across fields, across the road .. it was nuts.

That being said .. that was during archery and during the rut. From what we were told, 1st shotgun season is INSANE around there. They ALL do drives and getting in on some of the local action is going to cost you, if they will even let you in on it. Property you could have gotten permission with a knock and smile during archery will now be protected at all the borders and very well guarded. The outfitter/farmer we hooked up with can't offer hunts to people at any price during first season on his own farm, as his family would kill him if he tried to let an outsider on. From the pictures and the piles of racks though .. they do kill some SLOB deer .. and in pretty good numbers.
Good luck, and if you want some contacts in the area .. I made some friends in the area who may be able to get you set up. The area is freaking amazing though .. and if you hunted hard in the area I was you could expect a 140"+ deer, and would probably see a few larger than that. I personally saw 3 that would have made B&C easily and P&Y deer were not uncommon at all. In fact a 125" deer was considered kinda small locally.

I'm jealous......
Old 06-22-2004, 06:23 PM

HAHA Jay, if that makes you jealous....WE GOT 640 ACRES!!! Plus, we're trying to acquire 40 more, and the old neighbor guys lets us hunt his 120. Hunting is heavy 1st shotgun. I drew a tag this year too. We get a tag every year. I dont know how hard it is to get an archery tag. Theres public land right next to our land too, 600 acres of it. Outside Marquette, IA. The amount of SLOB deer is amazing. We always get 3 or more 130" plus in our group of 10. most years theres one guy in our party that gets a double, like my cousin collin last year, who gunned down a 10 point, 140" and a 12 pont, 160" running together. Luck of the draw. hunting in NE iowa for deer is a religion during shotgun season. good luck finding land to hunt.we only let in a close friend to bowhunt on ours and he hunts shotgun with us too. always neat to see the pictures of the bucks he caught on camera. one set of sheds w/o the estimated 25" inside spread measured 180" B&C. good luck

slayer
Old 06-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply's Deer and Ma. My number one passion is bowhunting but it would take me about three years to get drawn and I wanted to establish a relationship with a landowner before then so I put in for shotgun. I hate drives. I'd rather pattern a really good buck and learn his routine - but that said, I'm grateful to have drawn a tag. I know that there are some big deer and it sound from you guys that if I hunt hard for a week I should probably at least see a 150" or better buck. I'm really starting from scratch so I appreciate your info. Ma, check your email.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:02 PM

non typical, i would start finding a good chunk of public ground. the only one i know of is right next to our land, near Monona. I doubt patterning a buck would work, as there are so many large bucks in the area and you would have to have ALOT of time. Being the season is relatively short (5 days), i would find a real good travel route that has alot of big buck sign. Find the places nobody else is going to hunt or be in. If you have to, get in the thickest meanest cover you can find. keep your scent and noise to a minimum. any more questions email me at [email protected]

slayer
Old 06-24-2004, 09:21 AM

3 years .. that's what it took me. What a shame. Iowa also doesn't allow doe tags for non-residents, or they just started over Christmas only... every farmer we talked to practically begged us to take does, when we stated we didn't have tags .. they didn't care .. "just shoot them" was the common response. We didn't of course, but goes to show you how things are there.

You are going to love it if you get into a good area.

I sent you that email with some contacts for you to check into.