Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent-Lok importance

Old 06-15-2004, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Scent-Lok importance

looks like most people don't give scent-lok much credit.......a friend of mine swears by it.......and he's gotten a massive wallhanger the last 3 years in a row........he gives scent-lok a lot of the credit......but he does scout hard........and hunts very hard.......i think his success is more attributable to his tactics/skill/experience than it is the scent-lok.......but i guess if the scent-lok gives him a "psychological" edge, then maybe it is a good thing........i personally don't believe in using it.......thought the people on this board would sway me over to my friend's side.......not so far.......we'll see if there are many more resonses for it as activity picks up on this board.......thanks for the interesting debate.......
Old 06-16-2004, 04:57 PM

getting high up in a tree doesnt matter. you scent blows down anyway.

slayer
Old 06-16-2004, 05:13 PM

I use carbon blast and that's it. I never wear my camo in the truck. I also never fuel up before I go hunting. I don't even go in a gas station until the trip home. Just bathe in scent free soap, and wear rubber boots, and you'll be fine. I don't believe in the scent-lok products, but that doesn't mean they don't work!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

In ichigan , where there are almost as many hunters as deer i think that it help alot especially if you are csent concious already, but not necessary. I like to think that it works great especially since my suit was a gift from my wife!!!!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

I use scent-lok and have noticed that I do not get winded as much even if the wind is not in my favor. Most of our scent come from our mouth & head so I think using the scent-lok full headcover or a scent-lok hat & face mask would help everyone. Whats nice about the full headcover is it has a mesh that covers the ears so you still can hear the sounds of the woods.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:34 AM
jec

I use the soap and shampoo and deodorant, but no scent lock. I keep my hunting clothes in a plastic container with cedar limbs year around and when you wash them, they still have a cedar smell. After this, my stands are about 12 feet high but I don't pay much attention to wind because the way I feel and where most of my stands are, a deer can come up from any direction. But this has really helped in my deer sightings and kills.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deerslayer_37, I think you are in error about that. Get in a tree and drop some of those fuzzy string pieces at different times of the day and at different temperatures with different wind speeds and I think you will be surprised. I've seen them do everything from go straight up to straight down.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my opinion, marginal...if we are just talking about scent lok garments and not scent in general. Scent itself is crucial no matter if you are in a treestand or on the ground. The importance of carbon impregnated clothing is still hotly debated.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Studies have come out since this stuff has been introduced and show that it cannot be reactivated once dirty unless some ridiculously high temperature is achieved. That means you buy a set of this every expensive clothing every. Keep clean clothes and bathe alot and stay in the correct wind is the best advice. Last year I wore Scentlok ..sighted no deer in my weeklong Alabama hunt. This year no Scentlok 2 bucks 2 does in a weeklong hunt. What does this prove absolutely nothing.