Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer sounds

Old 05-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer sounds

i would like th know what a deer sounds like so whem im calling i know that im makeing the right sound
Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: deer sounds

mattisbob, get yourself an audio tape of deer sounds. Most calls today are pretty easy to operate. For a buck grunt it is short buffs of air (say hut or huuut). A doe will require a pitch change if the call is able to do so(moving of a oring or similar) or a seperate call for making doe bleats, it basically is a drawn out (OOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAA). Fawn distress or bawl is higher pitched and sound like a baby cry or lamb (bbbbbbllllaaaaaaaahhhhh). Snort or wease is the Woooosh sound you here when you spook a deer, not advised to duplicate this call as it is an alert or attention call! Pretty hard to discribe but that is my best attempt. If you already have a call then post the name/make and others who use it might be able to give you tips.

I finds the sound quality is less of a factor then how to use and when to use for calling. Some people think it is like a duck call and use it way to much, deer do have vocal messages to each other but rely on other senses as well, if you over call you spell danger or alert to their mind..also keep in mind being curious natured calling will pinpoint your location and then the deer will rely on all the other senses they have to determine the noisemaker. When used in conjunction it is a great tool but as the main technique it may not fair to well, you simply can't call a deer out of the woods you must still be where they want to be and in the proper place to take advantage on a regular basis. In fact most simply use a grunt tube in a visual situation, when they see a deer out of range or when they want a deer to stop for a better shot. This is also an excellent usage and great time to test your calling to see their response to the calls. I wouldn't enter the woods without one but also rarely blind call either(except when rattling), my thinking if a grunt will buy you the shot or extra few seconds to make the shot it has done its job.

Best of luck
Old 05-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer sounds

This site helped me alot:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...deergrunt.html