Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

your first deer

Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: your first deer

My first deer was with my bow, it was approximately an 150 lb. doe and I am still as proud of that deer as the day I took her. Made one of the best bowshots on her that I have ever made. Had an amazing blood trail and everything was just perfect. Dad was there for the recovery and trail along with my uncle and cousin, was just an awesome experience!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big doe with shotgun when i was 14.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 AM

33 years ago, my Dad took me deep back into one of his stands (a huge boulder the size of a house). He sat two ridges over. The very first morning I ever stepped into the woods with a high power rifel in my hands and I took a nice plump four point with a 30-30 bolt action (wish I still had that neat little weapon).

To this day, I still hunt the same general area and fire lanes....several nice ones on the wall, next to an old narly looking non-typical that my Dad shot on that same stand 20 years before I hunted!! Love it....RIP to my favorite hunting bud - DAD!!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

I was in kindergarden, crawled up in my dads lap he helped me aim and i pulled the trigger on a nice fat doe. Those were the days.

www.TexasWildHogHunting.com
Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 PM

Mulie stag when I was 14. Used a then brand new Rem 700 in .270Win on about a 170 yard shot. My dad helped me gut it out and load it in the back of the pick up. We were headed out of the deer patch and back into town by 9:00 a.m. Not particularly memorable, almost seemed too easy.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 04-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first was a smallish doe from the tip of the mitt in Michigan. I was 17 and it was 1970. About a 70 yard shot with my Steyr 7 x 57, it ran about 70 yards in and through a cedar swamp with a great blood trail. at first I couldn't find any blood but finally noticed that the tall light brown marsh grass had a little blood up high...around deer-chest-high. By getting my eyes down to the blood level and looking horizontally I could make out the escape route where it entered the swamp. My shot was off, but I had severed both neck arteries and the doe actually drowned as it ran...lungs were ballooned with blood when I found her. I'll never forget coming up on her as I was bent over at the waist the entire time through the cedar swamp...and all of a sudden she was right below my eyes. Not a great shot but I was still pleased with myself.
It was a tough drag...and a memorable day.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

im suprised this many ppl shot does
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 PM

Well u need to shoot does more than you need to bucks... my 1st was a b-buck with the shot gun on a deer drive with our hunting group after school when i was 10.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Long time ago, Nov. 12, 1962, 12 years old. It was a fork horn at Menard, Texas. I'll never forget finding my dad to tell him the news. I think he was prouder than I was. He taught me well.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:51 AM

My first deer was a small 8pt buck taken with a bow in 1986. I still have the rack hanging on the wall. It is now accompanied by my first P&Y buck I harvested this past fall. That little 8pt is still my favorite!!

Quick Reply: your first deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.