Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will pigs run off the deer???

Old 04-19-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Will pigs run off the deer???

During the past 2 seasons we have seen limited Pig sign and shot only a few but in the last few weeks while filling feeders and playing on the lease I have shot 5 pigs and seen numerous others. Are these guys gonna drive our Deer away or will they co-exist? As fast as the pigs breed I am not sure if shooting a few a month is gonna do it.

Have any of you folks fenced your feeders to keep the pigs out. Does it slow down the deer, I think not.

While I do enjoy the spot and stalk pig hunting, you can get much closer than with the deer, I would much preferr to have white tail for a few months than pigs all year round.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Will pigs run off the deer???

We have come to the conclusion in our club that hogs and deer do not mix. When pig activity was at a peak this past season we saw very little deer in the areas that the hogs were in. Also the hogs caused damage to feed lots and were generally bad news. Their only redeeming factor however was that they were sure good eating!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 PM

Yes, pigs will run off the deer. Fencing off the feeders won't work because the deer will leave when they see pigs within about 50 yards. All the fence will do is keep the pigs from eating your corn.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure where Georgetown, TX is! I just moved to Dallas from IL, and would love to hunt hogs. If your looking for someone to come out and take a couple pigs off your hands, gimme an e-mail...serioulsy. I'd love the oportunity.

[email protected]
Jay
Old 04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Georgetownboys,

We have hogs on our property and they definitely can coexist with deer, but should be kept in check. I have had deer and hogs feeding at the same time under our feeders. The only hog that may bother a deer is a bad one, then again, he's bad to the other hogs also. I've actually seen turkeys feeding around the feeder when hogs were present.

We actually look after the wild hogs on our property as we do deer. The biggest problem is that they will root up your feed patches.

dog1
Old 04-19-2004, 01:58 PM

justhrowit. . . . .While Georgtown is just south down I35 about 180 miles I actually hunt out in Hill country near Brady Texas. It is not that we need shooters. . . .my boys and I love to get out and play but the pigs are smart and quickly change to night feeders when we shootem for a few days in a row. Take a few weeks for them to come out again. So. . .it seems we get a few trips to each feeder then the pigs smarten up and we back off for a while. . . . .

Now that you live in the great state of Texas you can find many places to hunt pigs for little or no money. Not everyone likes the smell or the taste. Sure are fun to shoot but you gotta hitem pretty hard and not just anyplace, right behind the ear seems to work.

I've been using a post hole digger and droppin corn down the hole and covering in layers of dirt and corn. Keeps them busy for a while.