Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Old 04-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Hunting in WI, I have found that using the vest that holds the warmers are awesome! Just stock up on the warmers!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what you wear out in the woods while hunting

Layers and material that wicks or at least stays warm with some moisture.(Ie; polyproplene against the skin with outer layers of varying weights depending on the temp of fleece or wool) Fabrics to avoid are cotton, so lose the jeans and the long sleeve cotton T - replace with fleece pants and long sleeve pull over. As mentioned keep your feet, hands, neck and head warm. The chemical hand warmers or even the handwarmer you clip around your waist can be a god sent! As mentioned try to eliminate over heating and sweating excessively...dress only as warm as you need to drive and walk to your sitting location then layer up. Throwing on every piece of clothes can cause some people to sweat as well, so you may implement a slower layer process as required(like mioso I dress in stages if you can believe it but it works). Remeber it is easy to take off or add clothes, as long as you have brought them with you and 3 thin layers are always better than 1 thick one - basically pack appropriately and then add a few other items for the day just in case!

Also important is drinking and eating, avoid beverages with caffine(such as coffee, pop and tea). I drink only water when I hunt and if I need a warm drink I go with chicken noodle soup in mt thermos or even hot water. I also drink small amounts(like a mouthful) often vs big gulps to eliminate voiding which acts as an insulator and beside opening up doesn't do much for the core temperature(if you know what I mean[:@]). Food stick to the PBJ's, Granola snacks, etc that will provide a released energy vs an up and down peak of a chocolate bar. I think it is important to eat a solid breakfeast for me that is a good sized bowl of oatmeal, bananna, drink of OJ & Milk...but something more than an apple or a cereal bar and 3 cups of coffee!

Also when in stand, make sure you keep blood flow moving, wiggle the toes amd finger, move the arms slightly, stand up, etc. If you are like me and hunt on the frozen/snow covered ground, then get up off the cold ground/snow with a stool or at least a hunter seat.