Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer behavior in the rain?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer behavior in the rain?

What do you know about it? Do they bed down? Seems like the noise of the rain would hinder their hearing. How does rain effect scent? I do not enjoy being out in the rain, especially if it's cold, but if you could stalk through the woods and get close, it might be worth it. Of course, I do not know the facts, and some of you can straighten me out.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer behavior in the rain?

I imagine they would probably bed down depending on how hard it's raining.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some great opportunities and taken some very good deer in the rain, and also during snowfall. Seems like the deer move quite a bit just before and during the beginning of a front. Weird thing is, I've noticed this when fishing also.......I guess it is something about the wild critters knowing that things will be "shut-down" for a period of time...so they try to fit in a bit of "last-minute shopping"....Don't know why this is, I just know I've witnessed it too many times for it to be a coincidence.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:18 AM

I have witnessed on several occasions deer moving in the rain, with their heads down close to the ground. Doesn't sound like a big thing until you know they were crossing open fields with grass that covered their heads.....................until you let out a whistle & they would stop & raise their heads(shoot)! Works good on whitetails in the south..............................doesn't work worth a crap on Elk, they RUUUNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnn! My 2 cents
Old 04-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Light rain and drizzzle doesn not bother deer, and sometimes it may encourage them to move more freely. Stormy weather and heavy rain and downpours will drive them to shelter and they will usually remain bedded down until the front has passed. That being said, to me, the absolute best time to be in the woods is right after the heavy rain stops. The longer it has been raining, sometimes for days, the better. It seem every deer in the woods is up and about under these conditions. Lastly, I usually live by this small rule....if the other creatures in the forest are not moving during inclement weather, neither will the deer, if you see small game, birds and other large animals moving around freely, expect to see deer.....
Old 04-13-2004, 11:38 AM

If it is a "windy" rain day, they will sit tight. But as said by others, light rain, especially at the beginning of the front really gets them moving. Snow is the same. I LOVE being out just as a front is apporaching and she starts snowing real hard. They move alot then.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I love to go out when it is raining. It is a little uncomfortable but I have seen and taken a lot of deer hunting a field in the rain. Deer love to get out into an open field when it is raining. But if it is just a flood I don't even waste my time. A good steady rain is best.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:24 PM

I think it all depends on wind. If it's windy, they can't hear and they will stick tight but not for too long. It also really depends on how long it's been raining too. Deer have to eat and drink. The need to eat will get them up. They may not go far, but they have to get up sometime.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

I shot at the largest buck I've ever seen in my life in the rain. Then 2 minutes later, shot at the 2nd largest buck I've ever seen in my life. I missed both deer (young and had never taken one before) and it was during a steady light to moderate rain. It was a still morning and I have noticed that when its windy and raining that they will hold to the thick stuff, this is a good time to still hunt in short pines and the rain will help to mask your scent and noise. With the rain gear that is on the market now, there's no reason not to hunt this weather IMHO. If you still don't like the rain, try to be out there as soon as the weather breaks, they usually move real good then.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:23 PM

Rainy weather is also a good time to do some stalking. I've gotten a little more disciplined with this, but the slower you walk and the more you look, the more deer you'll be able to sneak up on. With their sense of hearing being so impaired, it's a good time to walk up on 'em. It also makes for a nice change of pace, instead of sitting in a deer stand waiting for them to come to you.

Quick Reply: Deer behavior in the rain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.