Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer behavior in the rain?

Old 04-14-2004, 11:40 PM

Default RE: Deer behavior in the rain?

If you have the oppurtunity observe.

Here there is a herd of does that when a strong fron moves trhough will bed in one specific spot. If jumped say about 3 times they will move to a secondary spot.

I fully agree with stalking durring and after a rain. After a rain you can see dry spots where they have bedded that will deffy all you have heard about deer behavior.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Other than the physical discomfort, I prefer a rainy day over any other. In light rain, I think the deer actually may move more than on dry days. In heavier rain, they may stick tight to cover, but, as others have said, this is the time for still hunting/stalking.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it varies on a lot of factors what deer do in the rain. One is how hard it is raining, what the wind is doing, what stage of rut, time of year, food availiable, location/terrain, etc. I have seen lots of deer some days and otheres it frankly sucks.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw one dancing and singing while he twirled around a lampost.
Not sure what that was about. He tasted just like all the others.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:06 PM

this last season I killed 2 in the rain. I think if it is a thuderstorm they would bed down bud a lite rain I dont really think will affect them much. When I killed those 2 I was in a box stand and it was a lite rain and I killed them with my new T3 the first day I got it sighted in so I was pumped!
Old 04-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I still see relatively frequent deer movement in light rainy conditions but if it gets more steady and consistant then I believe they tend to bed down as my observations of deer movement drastically decrease.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as it is not a heavy rain, with lightning and thunder, deer move good when it is raining. Evenif it is raining pretty hard i'll try to get to my stand if I think that the weather will break, because I want to be there when it stops raining hard. They will usually move right after a hard rain. As far as scent goes, I'm not really sure. Some times I think scents linger longer in the damp air, so I always err on the side of caution and try to be as scent free as posible.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had a lot of good success during light rain {DRISSLE}but from my experiences just before and after are the best times to hunt.When down pour's occur deer bed until it start's to let up .I don't usually hunt in heavy rain unless I've been caught in it, but then it's time to go home if it look's like it's not going to let up. I've also had good success hunting when it's snowing and blowing ,You have to know where the bedding area's are and hunt outside them and in creekbed's where there might be cover from the element's .There is absolutely no sense in hunting field edges in these types of heavy rain or heavy wind's and snow .If you hunt cover area's in this weather you may very well get lucky.I have a lot of friend's who call it a day in these situation's ,but I'll tell you they don't know what they're missing .

nubo
Old 04-30-2004, 05:04 PM

LMAO @ Bulzeye!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BLDHOUND,
I was starting to wonder if everybody here was too young to get the joke.

Quick Reply: Deer behavior in the rain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.