Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs Chasing Deer

Old 04-13-2004, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Dogs Chasing Deer

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

Shoot em.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I care for my dog, therefore it is trained not to run deer!!! I kill any dog or cat I see when hunting, they kill whatever they can when loose. If anybody is against shooting wild cats/dogs or loose pets that are molesting game, then take care of your animals!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:07 PM

If it's chasing deer for the first time then I'll let it pass. If it chases it non-stop then it gets a bullet. I will also shoot any dog that tries to attack me.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:30 PM

yes dogs will chase cattle but i dont agree with that the do more damage than coyotes we raise around 300 head of cattle here in southern ohio, if i see either one i am looking for a gun really quick..!!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with shooting feral dogs, but some counties in NC deer are hunted with dogs.

The property next to my lease uses dogs, so we have to be very careful.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 PM

i'm a bit disgusted in some of the responses i've seen posted. i would have thought that responsible hunters would demonstrate a bit more restraint in the killing of potentially domesticated pets.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jroot

i'm a bit disgusted in some of the responses i've seen posted. i would have thought that responsible hunters would demonstrate a bit more restraint in the killing of potentially domesticated pets.
Just a guess Jroot , but you don't live in the country do you ? I do , and loose pets are a serious problem here . When those "domesticated pets" roam at will and cause problems they are no longer "domesticated pets" , they're varmints at best and a threat to livestock , wild game , and people . I can't count the number of times I've seen someone write in to the local paper complaining about people dumping unwanted dogs and cats on their property .

I've personally been threatened by stray dogs while in the woods and elsewhere , and I'll shoot any animal that does this without a second thought . It's impossible where I live to maintain a feeder for birds because of the stray cats , and I haven't seen a squirrel in my yard since I moved in nearly 14 years ago . We used to have chipmunks in our yard , and they were entertaining to watch , but they no longer exist .

When I go out to hunt I rarely see a rabbit or quail in the fields anymore , did they all fall prey to hawks and owls ? Did the coyotes have a sudden feast ? No , Rover and Mr. Boots slaughtered them , mostly for play . I've seen their mutilated carcasses far too many times to think otherwise .'Yotes don't leave bodies behind , neither do other predators .

I give any stray that enters my yard a fair chance to move on , but the ones that return will be dealt with whether you approve or not . You don't have to live with the problems .
Old 04-15-2004, 06:28 AM

If you're out in the country (there's a lot of it out here) and you have a run in with a dog, coyote, wolf. Dog and Coyote shoot em. Wolf? the politicos have them all wrapped up in legale(SLEEZE)se. Thanks to a bunch of berkinstock, wool socked longskirted "hippie" animal rights actors from BACK EAST! and OUT OF IT WEST!! there are wolves roaming MY BACKYARD! killing Elk, Deer, other dogs, Sheep, Cattle, Moose and any other "fair game". Now because of a lawsuit we can't even delist the wolf for control measures. The next time some college edumicated hippie shows up to be "one with nature" and decides we (my part of the country) don't have enough Wolverines or Badgers ask them to introduce "the new breed" into their OWN BACKYARD!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:35 AM

potentially? Potentially the re introduced wolf will eradicate ALL Elk hunting opportunity here. Coyotes I'm not worried about but your potential dog is dead! Take your potential and solve your own problems in your own state with your own money!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:14 AM

poluke ...this post is about dogs, not wolves or yotes. i grew up out west and have shot many yotes and can't wait for tags to be issued for wolves. if i'm not mistaken it's wyoming's wolf management plan that is holding up the federal delisting of the wolf as an endangered species.

i don't dispute that there are some areas of the country that have problems with wild dogs nor that there is anything wrong with shooting a dog that is aggressive and attacks.

my point is that in all my years of hunting i have never met anyone who has been attacked by a wild dog while hunting and don't believe that they have a noticable impact on deer numbers.

living out east as i do now and hunting on smaller parcels of land i have regular encounters with dogs/cats while hunting and have never considered shooting them for interfearing with my hunt or general tresspassing due to the fact that there is no way to tell for sure if they are wild and not just someones pet that got away (which happens periodically to the best pet owners).

Quick Reply: Dogs Chasing Deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.