Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs Chasing Deer

Old 04-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Dogs Chasing Deer

i think half you guys are exagerating the situation and half full of crap.

i know several people who's dogs have ended up missing during hunting season ...shot by some knucklehead thinking they are harassing the deer. so what if they are chasing them around a bit the deer are tough and will get by just fine.

i'll tell you one thing, and imagine i'm not the only one who feels this way, but if some Ahole ever shot my dog they would get the a$$ whipping of a lifetime.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Jroot ,
you might feel differently if one of those feral packs went after one of your kids , this has happened here , no exageration . It is a proven fact that feral dogs and cats can decimate native game populations , especially ground nesting birds and rabbits . They wreak havoc with small game management programs on a statewide basis nearly everywhere , and yes they will pack up and take down deer too .

It is clearly understood in this area that if your dog is not restrained to your property as state law requires and gets caught on someone else's land that it does so at it's own risk and will most likely be shot . Like many states this is perfectly legal here . You can't shoot them on public ground , but you can on your land or another person's land with permission . Trying to whup somebody for doing it will only get you arrested .

I love my dogs just as much as you do , but I make sure that they aren't anywhere but home . That's called being a responsible pet owner .
Old 04-08-2004, 10:36 AM

in my part we incorporate the three S's cause it's not legal to shoot dogs (wild or pets) but when they start harassing the cows or sneak up behind you while you're working and start growling at you or come after your pets. those dogs are done, no questions asked!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

i'll tell you one thing, and imagine i'm not the only one who feels this way, but if some Ahole ever shot my dog they would get the a$$ whipping of a lifetime
The end result is that your dog will still be gone ,you will likely get sued and criminal charges will likely be filed against you.That will sure show them.And that is assuming that the dog shooter does not kick your ass.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot em.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:35 PM

We raised cattle when I was growing up and lost a lot of calves to feral dogs so most were shot on sight it is not an exageration. If you keep your dog on your property and under control you wont have to worry about it,if you don't and something happens to it then it's your own fault. As for the threats come down here and try that and you might get sent home with your tail between your legs
Old 04-08-2004, 03:05 PM

i'll tell you one thing, and imagine i'm not the only one who feels this way, but if some Ahole ever shot my dog they would get the a$$ whipping of a lifetime.
That's a good one. If you like your dogs, keep them on your property. How do you know what they do when they are not in your sight or on your land. Think you could find your dog in a 10 acres slough? Doubt it. Dogs have no reason to be roaming around.

jroot...guess it's a good thing we aren't neighbors.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stray dogs are a real problem all year around here, not to mention hunting season. Unethical hunting practices by dog hunter's during deer season is just as bad of a problem. Running dogs in areas where they don't have enough room to run without getting on private land and messing up other peoples hunt. Even turning them loose on private land and then standing in an legal area to shoot as the deer are run out.
I try to be considerate to a certain extent. If the owner of a dog thought enough about the animal to put a collar on him , I will hold the dog for a few days for him to pick up. I have even done this when I suspected the dog was used to poach my territory and my own privatley owned land. But I do have my limits , If he's not collared or he keeps showing up , he's got to go. Even tho deer dogs were a tradition around here , I feel that times have changed and that there is no way to ethically run dogs on deer anymore in areas that that are held by so many different people.

Quick Reply: Dogs Chasing Deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.