Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

Old 04-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

For all of you that say the old adult doe.........Every hunter in the woods is out gunning for that mature buck. If he's lived to be that old then he has fooled an awful lot of people. That old doe on the other hand has no trophy on her head and has probably been passed by 50 hunters, none of which would have have passed a buck of the same age. Doesn't even seem like a contest to me.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

My vote goes to the adult doe ,
she's smart enough to travel with other does which gains her the added protection of more eyes and ears .
Old 04-06-2004, 11:42 AM

I'm with silentassasin on this one. The old doe was probably passed up a few times already. The old buck would have been tagged those previous times. I sure have killed a lot more big old does than I have bucks. I think that part of that is simply due to the fact that bucks are much quicker to go nocturnal. I will agree though that I have been busted by the old doe plenty of times.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea old does bust us plenty of times....But that old sneaky buck has busted us long before we'd ever know it. With the exception of a few days during the rut, that big mature wary buck, is the most difficult to kill.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have also killed a heck of a lot of old does in comparism to really big bucks.i
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 PM

I thought about that one time before and i think that does and bucks are naturally equivlent as far as intelligence goes. But i think since a buck maybe more pressured than a doe he may become more aware.

Most people may let a 3 or 4 yearold doe walk because they may shoot doe or look for larger doe maybe a 5 or 6 year old. Then the doe won't be as afraid to a hunter.

On the other hand a 3 or 4 year old buck may be large enough for anyone to consider a trophy and may be pressured more...for example a person could shoot and miss witch would teach him to be more aware or he may be tracked by someone. Then the buck would gain the instink to be more wary at a younger age and then by the time he is 5 or 6 he would be a tough on to get.

So in conclusion naturally they have the same intelligence but after hunting presssures the bucks may become more wary.

That is just my philosophy
Old 04-06-2004, 02:54 PM

I have a lot more adault does under my stand than bucks
Old 04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

TOUGH QUESTION THIS ONE IS.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THE BUCK, BUT THEN AGAIN WHO TAUGHT THAT BUCK? MOMMY DID. WITH THAT SAID I STILL CAN'T SAY WHOS SMARTER

Err...i disagree. Old bucks dont start out that way, they learn it themselves if they survive long enough...Thats right
Old 04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know of any way to determine which is smarter. Could be that like people, some are smart some not so smart. the gender of the person or deer might not make much difference. I wish any of the deer were smart enough to stay off the darn hiway.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:47 PM

well, i think that they both are extremely smart. I think if a BIG BIG buck gets to be realy old then he has to be SMART to stay alive.

Quick Reply: Who's smarter? That big buck or the adult doe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.