Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

please help me

Old 04-02-2004, 08:31 PM

Default please help me

what kind of gun should i get?? i am new at this and this year will be my first year hunting..ive shot guns before but never owned one..what is some advice on buying one?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: please help me

What kind of hunting do you intend to do. Are you an adult ?
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56 PM

im gonna hunt for deer..and i turn 18 in aug.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:31 PM

Open or wooded areas? Barrel length and caliber are affected by this.

How long will be your longest shot? Keep in mind you don't need to be taking 300 or 400 yard shots unless you are extremely proficient with your rifle.

Where do you live? Size of the animal matters and some states don't allow rifle hunting.

Rocky or hilly areas? Will you do a lot of walking or hiking? Weight is an issue, more for some than others.

What are the caliber restrictions for the area where you live?

Will this rifle be used only for deer or are you going to hunt other species?

Are you recoil sensitive?

We need more to work with than your age and that you are hunting for deer.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:46 AM

mostly wooded areas and i dont think i will be taking 3-400 yard shots

i live in florida but im gonna do most my hunting in gergia

i dont know the caliber restrictions

it will be only used for deer

recoil sensitive?? dont know what that means

sorry if i cant give a lot of info but i am new to this and dont know a whole lot
Old 04-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

A 12 guage shotgun with slug and shot barrels will allow you to hunt in every state . It will also grant you a wider variety of game to hunt than any other waepon , and a huge selection of ammo to choose from .
Old 04-03-2004, 10:42 AM

Sounds like you've got some reading to do, I'll help you out some but you need to do some reading or talking to the hunters in your area.

When you pull the trigger on a rifle does the recoil hurt your shoulder? Has the pain started to make you flinch?

That is recoil sensitivity.

Get a 243, 25-06, 308 or some other non-magnum caliber. If it says "XXX Remington Magnum" or "XXX Winchester Magnum" or god forbid " XXX Weatherby Magnum" on the gun, you don't need it for the deer in those areas. Stay away from the short magnums, ultra magnums or the newer high powered calibers until you figure out if you will keep hunting, this will save you some money on the gun and ammo, it will also allow you to sell your rifle easier if you don't like hunting. In other words, no magnums. I would suggest a 308, the ammo is cheap and there is a large variety of ammo out there.

Get a Remington, Sako or Savage. I would suggest getting a stainless synthetic rifle for durability and ease of maintenance.

Don't skimp on the quality of the scope. Get a good clear 2-7 or 3-9 power scope, you can always put this on another rifle later if you decide to upgrade.

Buy yourself a bunch of ammo and get to the range.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

It will be hard to beat a bolt action .270 for deer hunting. Be sure to get the best quality scope you can afford. Give strong consideration to the Nikon Monarch or something similar.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM

Check your local library for books on hunting, guns, etc. A shooting range in your area? Visit it, talk to some of members. You might find one that will sit down and bend your ear as long as you can stand it. Remember, everyone has his own opinion. Its up to you to sort through the wheat from the chaf. Get copies of the Hunting laws for Fl. and Ga. (Wallmart might have them.) Visit some gun shops and don't buy at the first one. The more info you collect, the better your choice could be. Borrow from you learned in school, do a lot of homework. Good luck.

Russ
Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .243 with good 100 grain bullets will take any whitetail waliking today! That said, the .243 is the minimum caliber I'd recommend for deer. From there you could go on up to the big magnums, which you really don't need, especially if you are new to shooting. Someone has already mentioned the .308 and it is a really good choice too.
For someone who is just starting into hunting and rifle shooting, and even for an experienced hunter for that matter, I'd really suggest the .260 or 7MM-08. Both are really great deer getters, they have a flatter trajectory, so thay are great at short and longer ranges, and they do it with less kick than the larger calibers! Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.