Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground or Tree?

Old 04-01-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Ground or Tree?

I wanted to find out what is everyone elses opinion is or just from experience, which is better ground (blinds) or tree stands while hunting deer? I have always used a climber or ladder stand. What are some of the cons of blind hunting? I was looking into buying a blind for the next deer season. Just a little area info if it matters--I hunt on about 150 acres and all of it is wooded so I wouldn't be in a field or open places except a creek bottom thats pretty open.

Also, when you go to setup your blind, is it better to have it setup for awhile before hunting or is it ok to set it up the day of the hunt?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:18 PM

Default RE: Ground or Tree?

I have heard it is better to set the ground blind up at least a few weeks before you hunt it. Give the deer a chance to get used to it. I have always liked hunting out of a tree a little better. It gets your scent off the ground. But the biggest thing for me is that you can see so much more! Having said that, there are certain areas where a ground blind will work better. Areas that are thick with cedar or mesquite trees, or where there are not good trees to hang a stand. I think the terrain dicates the setup. Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Newmanisking, I have about 9 treestands and a ground blind that I got from Cabelas. The ground blind is okay but kinda cramped for bowhunting out of and with therma currents continually changing, I prefer hunting out of a stand or an ambush overlooking a revene, when hunting out of a ground blind it seems like the game is there on top of you before you know it, SURPRIZE, but at least with a tree stand my scent is usually up and out of the way and then it is usually a lot easier for me to pick up on movement when I'm in a stand. Either one will work, just depends on the set up. Good luck, Bobby
Old 04-01-2004, 11:55 PM

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I also have a tent blind that I got from Cabelas, the Outhouse. I do tend to like tree stand hunting better, but that is just for purposes of scent control and the ability to see deer long before they see you. I have yet to use my blind for deer hunting because if I set up a blind, it's normally natural (made of branches, leaves, shrubs... existing structure). I do carry a custom made blind though when I'm still hunting. It's merely a small piece of camo netting on a square frame I built out of aluminum rods. It's light and it conceals pretty well. The Outhouse seems a little too small for drawing a bow and that's the main reason I haven't used it yet.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I also have an Outhouse blind , and hunt from the ground only for now . The Outhouse is not well suited to vert bow hunters , although a crossbow will work well if it's legal where you live . I don't discount tree stand hunting , in fact I bought myself a starter climber to practice with . Once I get the feel for it I'll buy a better one . Both have advantages and disadvantages .

I chose tent blind hunting for portability , and my terrain is also wooded . I can set up in 5 minutes flat in near complete silence , and since the blind is camo I don't necessarily have to wear camo . This allows me to focus more on scent control . If your blind's camo pattern matches your surroundings it would take a very observant deer for you to get busted , I've had them walk to withing feet of me while in mine . The same cannot be said for a tree stand unless you cover it with camo and select your tree well . A tree stand sticks out if not carefully placed , and deer do look up .

A blind also provides protection from the weather , which allows you to hunt more days that you normally might not . This allows you to see more deer , and therefore more chances to score . They don't always work in more open terrain however , unless the background gives some breakup and the deer can't approach from behind .
Old 04-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt from both and have found each to work quite well depending on the situation. I think the biggest drawback of the ground blind is that it somewhat restricts shooting lanes...in comparison to a treestand. The treestand, on the other hand, is more exposed. If a deer happens to look up then more often than not you will be busted.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

tree tree tree , as long as I'm able enough to climb.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:11 AM

I agree with using a tree, but you have to admit that there are certain disadvantages... my main one being for this reason: I have several tree stands at deer train intersections, but at certain times of the year, they're barren. A lot of the deer where I hunt don't even use the trails until WELL after the corn is harvested. I've seen deer daily, but they just wander aimlessly through the woods, they hardly ever follow a set trail. In most books and magazines they write that deer, as a general rule, will normally follow a set route, and they tell you how to funnel deer, read the right trail sings, etc. That's why I wrote an article that follows MY saying: The only general rule in hunting is that there are no rules.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only general rule in hunting is that there are no rules.
Very profound words of wisdom.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually hunt from a treestand just for the same reason's as swamp dog definetly better for seeing what's moving around and keeping scent up .This season I've bought a ground blind because of one spot I hunt the deer have been crossing in the open near a small clump of tree's out in the middle of the field,this spot is good for seeing long distances and is perfect for a ground blind . So having a ground blind in certain spot's work's as long as you can see distances. It also work's well down near creek bed's where the brush is thick and you can use branch's and limb's to lay against your blind to make it look natural. Hope this help's but having a ground blind is definetly a big plus to go with your treestand's .The only thing is I wouldn't put it up to long before you hunt it might just disappear ,I put mine up the weeked before I hunt and that's a couple day's or even the day before the season opener. I would also recommend that you also spray your blind with scent killer when you put it up.

Nubo

Quick Reply: Ground or Tree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.