Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground or Tree?

Old 04-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ground or Tree?

Both. I don't use a "ground blind", but I do sometimes hunt on the ground. Personally, I prefer a nice comfortable climber, but it has to do with preference and terrain more than effectiveness. Both are productive when your set up is right.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive never hunted from a stand.....me and dad find one good spot and throw some brush around and trim some up for a few clear lanes...and make it comfy and make sure we can sit there all day......then we move and just sit in downed trees...boulder piles...or against a big tree...i like to be mobile....but im impatient and young......i know if i could sit 10hrs on end id see the deer im hunting.....but i cant.....ive made it 4 or 6 tops......and i was taking breaks eating lunch and such every now and then....when its not freezing i can sit a long while....long as i have a squirrel or something to watch.....i see deer all the time small game hunting and such before deer season....find out where they are living and what trails they use and come hunting season i never see them becuase it kills me to know they are there and im not seeing them.....next year im working on that........i think it will definently pay off........
Old 04-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted both, and have found that I belong in a tree. Don't know what it is, but when I'm on the ground, in a blind or otherwise, I can't get a shot - the deer see me. Never have bagged a deer with a bow from the ground. Rifle - different deal altogether. I like being above the action where I can see better, the deer don't seem to spot me as easily, and my scent stays high above the ground for longer. Just makes sense to me to be in a tree.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of my hunting is done on the ground. I don't use a ground blind persay, but rather use natural concealment on most occasions. I do have natural cover blindS built in a few locations though. The main reasons I don't use a tree stand is the inability to move around with the changes, choice in methods/techniques for hunting, the locations I hunt do not lend themself to stand hunting and I really have come to enjoy the eye level felling/rush I get from being on the dirt.

With each come pros and cons but I think a lot depends on how you like to hunt and how that area best lends itself to either tree or ground.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:51 AM

Do both! That's what I'm gonna do next season. I've mostly hunted above the ground, but twice now I've hunted from a ground blind and I loved every second of it. However, I also loved every second of hunting from trees too. I'm not giving up one for the other. Just remember, like it was previously mentioned, if you bowhunt from a ground blind, make sure it has plenty of room.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 PM

tree stand here.....not to say that a ground blind will not work....i like a tree stand because of the range of sight, you can just see alot better. But there are some areas that I hunt that I just can't hunt from a stand and a ground blind will just have to do and I have been successfull both ways. Good luck
Old 04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I absolutely love to hunt ground blinds. I have a dozen of them around my land. I don't have a tent or anything like that. I make my own natural ground blinds out of hedgerows, field edges, swail etc..........

I think your chances are much better from a tree obviously getting yourself above the ground for smell and sight. There is nothing like the rush of being on the same level as a deer though. You're going to get busted sometimes there's nothing you can do about that. I assure you though there is no better rush than having a deer 15 yards from you on the same plain as it and he/she not detecting you are there. To me it's more of a challenge and something totally different than being 20 feet in a tree.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:00 PM

I've never sat in a tree but saying that, I always choose a high elevation in comparison.

Mike
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit climbers!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had most of my luck when sitting 20 feet above the forest floor. Keeping my scent above the ground is the key. I have never hunted from a ground blind, but have still hunted on the ground when the situation dictates, usually during inclement weather. To me, it sometimes comes down to a game of chess when hunting whitetails. I hunt in areas with relative low deer numbers (less than 10 deer/square mile) and there are many days I do not even see deer. I never want to give the deer any advantage then he already has. My game plan is very simple, I gotta see the deer before he see me, or knows I'm there. Personally, hunting high gives me a slight advantage. Also, seeing deer that I do not want to shoot, or cannot shoot, walking by my treestand, is a very special treat indeed.

Quick Reply: Ground or Tree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.