Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

22-250

Old 03-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Default RE: 22-250

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Hunting deer with any of the .22's is the equivalent of bowhunting deer with a field point!
It will kill them, but most of the time they won't be dead where you want them to be dead at!
B.S.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you see a deer thats been shot with a 55 gr. hollow point you will sing a different song. It will absolutley leave one giant hole in deer that will make your .50-06 magnumwhatever look small in comparison.
22-250 is a great gun and will not cripple deer. Some of those remarks are rediculous, it doesnt take belted magnums or large calibers to kill a deer. Put it where it counts and the work begins. The diameter of a bullet does not determine how it kills. Velocity however does.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:45 AM

Zrexpilot,
When you see a deer thats been shot with a 55 gr. hollow point you will sing a different song. It will absolutley leave one giant hole in deer that will make your .50-06 magnumwhatever look small in comparison.
22-250 is a great gun and will not cripple deer. Some of those remarks are rediculous, it doesnt take belted magnums or large calibers to kill a deer. Put it where it counts and the work begins. The diameter of a bullet does not determine how it kills. Velocity however does.
If everyone that entered the woods was a really, really good marksman with a rifle or a shotgun, then heck a .22 would work. But the fact is probably only less than 5% of hunters are excellent with the weapon they use, don't crack under pressure, don't make bad shots, DON'T MAKE RUNNING SHOTS!!, know the correct breathing techniques...etc...all the way down the line. I think the question should have stated....Is a 22-250 enough gun to PROPERLY and HUMAINLY shoot or take down a deer?? Then the answer would have to be NO.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 PM

I have seen people lose deer with large cal. weapons also. Many people try to shoot guns they are afraid of and make bad shots. Smaller Cals are easier to shoot and easier to make a good shot. I would rather see someone make a good shot with a 22-250 than a bad shot with a 30-06. If someone can't hit an 8 in vital area they have no business hunting with anything.

I was hunting with a guy who I think single lunged a deer 1/4 to him with a 7 mag and we never found the deer. I was not a happy camper. He thought because he was shooting a "7 Mag" he could just hit the deer and it would go down. That is not the case. This was the first deer he has lost because he made a bad choice.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

The 22-250 in the right hands is just the same as a 30-06 in the right hands. But for the average hunter that don't get in enough shooting and in some circumstances you could very well lose the deer.

I took a buck in open country in oklahoma, where the 22-250 is legal. The buck took eight shots all within a six inch circle in the heart and lungs. I know hard to believe but the buck took them all standing up at 125yds. There wasn't much for blood anywhere on the ground. So if I had to track that buck in deep cover I'm afraid anything but a head shot, I would have lost the deer. But too its defense two days later it downed a doe with one quick shot. So who knows. But I know this it doesn't have alot of knock down power when passing through the rib cage.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

The 22-250 in the right hands is just the same as a 30-06 in the right hands. But for the average hunter that don't get in enough shooting and in some circumstances you could very well lose the deer.

I took a buck in open country in oklahoma, where the 22-250 is legal. The buck took eight shots all within a six inch circle in the heart and lungs. I know hard to believe but the buck took them all standing up at 125yds. There wasn't much for blood anywhere on the ground. So if I had to track that buck in deep cover I'm afraid anything but a head shot, I would have lost the deer. But too its defense two days later it downed a doe with one quick shot. So who knows. But I know this it doesn't have alot of knock down power when passing through the rib cage.
8 shots?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fer christsakes, you can kill a deer with an arrow but your saying it's not humane to shoot one with a 22-250 pffffttt ! I have never lost a deer from a single shot from a .22 much less a high powered rifle.
Flame away.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Fer christsakes, you can kill a deer with an arrow but your saying it's not humane to shoot one with a 22-250 pffffttt ! I have never lost a deer from a single shot from a .22 much less a high powered rifle.
Flame away.
If you don't know the difference of how an arrow kills and a bullet kills, then I'd be wasting my time flaming! Theres even a good posibility that you wouldn't know the difference in a field point and a broadhead either!
The bottom line is, the .22's are not deer calibers! Especially if you are out to buy a deer gun, buying a .22 would be wasting your money on an inferior caliber, when there are so many better calibers to be had!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jag your the one thats confused, your mentality of thinking is that if the diameter of a bullet isnt .30 caliber and it ways no less than 150 gr. then its not just adequate enough for deer. That is just plain wrong. I will take the little 22-250 over a lot of bigger calibers. Velocity has a tremendous baring on what actually kills an animal. Velocity is what will cause tissue damage. Little bullets traveling at high velocity will liquify the lungs. A heavier bullet traveling slower will not do this. That is a fact. This is what will bring down an animal cleanly, quickly and humanly. Just as the broad head of an arrow cuts the tissues of the lungs and causes tremendous bleeding, so too will these small calibers traveling at extreme velocity's.

P.S. there is no such thing as knock down power.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

LOL, yep jetblast 8 shots. My father was making fun of me until we hung up the buck and skinned it. Then again I may have not been using the correct bullet, but it was a hornady 60gr soft point bullet. I've seen elk stand up for alot of chest shots too but this was a little ole bambi. To say the least I was shocked. When I bought my new 300win I took it back to OKLA. two years later and just floored those little guys. And the 300win doesn't tear up any meat when it passes through the ribcage. I'm not one for blowing off legs or shoulder shots on deer or elk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.