Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If a deer attacks you what do you do??

Old 02-13-2004, 05:03 AM

Default RE: If a deer attacks you what do you do??

Hi gman1969,

I've seen people, particularly with cameras, do some pretty ignorant things. The family and I were in Yellowstone National Park and observed people approaching both Bison and Elk so close......it was nothing short of amazing that they weren't attacked! In one case a couple approached a herd of Elk which were bedded......and the couple walked in so close the animals had to get to their feet....and move. I actually saw the guard hairs standing up on several of them. Idiots!

All I could think......is "such good candidates they'd have been....to be removed from the gene pool"! Stupidity like that....shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

Hi vtbuckrulrss,

Moose are an entirely different animal tempermentally. Especially bulls in rut....and cows with calves....are certainly not to be trifled with. When we lived in Alaska they caught on film a cow moose attack on an elderly gentleman, that proved to be fatal. The cow and calf had been "prodded and provoked" all day by University of Alaska, Anchorage, students....with snowballs. After hours of this and the normal "jostling associated with wild animals in a metro environment"......the cow was agitated. When an older man attempted to go around the cow, (deep snow channeled both people and the moose), she charged, knocked the man to the ground, and stomped the man to death. All on film. And I believe it made the national TV reports.

And as to "wounded animals".......that's a given to be careful around them. Even wounded mice and rats will "attack and bite" when cornered. I read some pretty interesting accounts of incidents with previously wounded animals. (And have even had wounded deer "hiss" at me as I approached. Which is another reason I believe in delivering a quick "finisher"......as opposed to cutting the throat.)

But unwounded deer attacks are probably about as likely.......as being swallowed up by a sudden earth quake fissure. It happens.....but not very often!

Dave
Old 02-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would grab my nife and go to cutting so fast O.J SIMPSON would be proud of me!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I love it, the Stone Cold Stunner!! That made me laugh so loud!

The odds of having a deer attack you is really low.

However, if a deer attacked me I would a) try to climb a tree, B) try to dodge the deer by running around a tree if it was too small to climb, or c) hit it with whatever I had in my hands.

Matt
Old 02-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

HEY!! Yikes!!

I posted the same thing in the bowhunting forum awhile ago. It happened to me this season. I was stalking a buck through a half arsed grown corn field. I got to about 40 yards or so and he decided I was either looking fine (doe) or he wanted to scrap (buck). Either way it was rather disturbing. Hey grunted and stomped his feet about 4 or 5 times and started heading my way like he was on a mission.
I admit I kind of froze saying to myself what the *&^% am I going to do. Really no shot, he was among the stalks and his head was dead straight on to me. The only shot I could have taken was at his skull. In retrospect that's what I'll do next time. It's strange until you're in that position. The easy thing is to say just shoot him, but it happens too quick and takes you by surprise.
I ended up trotting up a little hill into the hardwoods to get some elevation to possibly get an angle to shoot him. He was one irritated buck!! I ended up acting like a looney like someone else while drawing at the same time. The thing that sucked is I never really had any form of a clean shot, but got to the point where I was about to take ANY shot to give him the hint. The strange thing is on one hand you're still trying to figure out how to kill this buck on the other hand you're saying holy crap is he going to maul me??

Anyway, someone told me the best thing to do aside from killing him is to find a big tree and run around in circles and he won't be able to get you. He'll either think you're retarded and give up or realize he is retarded and come to his senses and take off.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:25 AM

Is he attacking you out of lust or anger. Grab him by the horns
or brace yourself. Either way it shouldnt last long.[]
Old 02-13-2004, 09:27 AM

He'll either think you're retarded and give up or realize he is retarded and come to his senses and take off.
lmao
Old 02-13-2004, 11:07 AM

Here is a newspaper story on a deer attack...

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors...2_20011102.htm
Old 02-13-2004, 11:20 AM

Here is another article......wow!!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/a...336316,00.html
Old 02-13-2004, 11:23 AM

and yet another........

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...96/detail.html
Old 02-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Good stories vt buck, your deer story sounds like one that happened to my brother. He was loading a "dead" deer into the trunk of his car when it woke up. My brother was astraddle the deer with only his knife to hand. They had a real nice rodeo before he finally got its throat cut.

Quick Reply: If a deer attacks you what do you do??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.