Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:58 PM

Default RE: what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Wieght and a doe that i see is better than the buck i did not see
Old 02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many years ago I shot the biggest Buck that I have ever seen anywhre including in pictures and in Cabelas game rooms. I will never shoot another buck for horns unless I see one bigger than that one. I am a meat hunter and more antlers laying around mean less than nothing to me. I would shoot a small rack Buck if it wre a big body deer but only if I can't find a big doe. That big buck I shot years back was not even eddible. I could tell by the smell but one taste proved it. The big mule deer doe where I hunt will very often dress out well over 225-250 lbs. Thats what I am after. I like to shoot the big bucks only with a camera. Where I hunt, someone has to take some of the does out of the equation. I am more than happy to be one of them. I took three very big ones this year. The land owner thanked me and invited me back next year. To me its a great tasting win, win deal.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:35 PM

i shot a doe that was bigger than all the bucks taken at the check station... i would rather take the bigger deer. doe or buck.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:46 PM

Antlers for me, thank you. No,you can't eat the horns,but the meat doesn't keep well hanging on the wall either
Old 02-07-2004, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I would probably say antlers. I hunt here in Iowa where the deer are big. Its hard to find a deer here with a nice rack that doesn't have alot of meat to him.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 AM

Antlers for me. I really don't care how much he weighs. If I want more deer meat I'll shoot a few extra does.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:59 AM

I like to shoot something thats got lots of head gear.

If it's meat I'm after I'll take a doe any day.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Antlers for me as well. You can't eat them but you can use them as means to set goals and up the challenge. If I were a meat hunter, I'd never shoot any bucks bigger than a nubbin. In my experience, does taste much better.
But Since I'm hunting for the big bucks, I let the smaller ones walk and shoot does to fill tags specified for doe only.
Dan
Old 02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

antlers
Old 02-07-2004, 10:16 AM

If I want more deer meat I'll shoot a few extra does.
Problem here is you can only shoot 1 buck (if you even get a tag-you get it 3/4 times) ANd you can apply for a doe tag but the odds of getting it are you will get the tag once for every seven times you apply.

Quick Reply: what's more important to you, wieght or antler's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.