Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BAR vs. A bolt

Old 01-24-2004, 08:18 AM

Default BAR vs. A bolt

Thinking about buying a 30 06 BAR. I'm trying to find some info on ballistic comparisons between the 2 guns using identical ammo, proably 150 grain power points. I know the bar uses part of the burning gases to cycle another round but wonder how much of a power loss this contributes. Can't seem to find this info on the web. Is it significant enough to change trajectories and ME's ? Does anyone use both the auto and bolt ? Would like to know which is preferred and how well the auto does after a few rounds are fired. Thanks guys and gals for your time.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BAR vs. A bolt

For the majority of hunters, it's really personal preference. I prefer bolt actions, however a guy in our club has a BAR 30-06 and he kills basically everything he tries to. I'm actually impressed with that gun as far as automatics go. It works like a champ. If you need real long range accuracy, it may not be the preferred choice. But as far as normal hunting ranges go (under 200 yds) I would say it should work just fine. I can't really comment on the ballistics of it compared to a bolt(although I doubt theres much difference), I just know it works well for him
Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 PM

The Ballistics that are affected between a Auto and a Bolt are null. A bolt will prove to be more accurate because the bullet is manually seated everytime. I have a BAR 7mm mag and love it. I would like to purchase a 243 WSSM A-Bolt.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:45 PM

i like my a bolt. an auto definitely affects longer range shot accuracy.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Bullsh** I have a 30-06 BAR and I will shoot it against any big game rifle, bolt or not. My BAR shoots 0.43" groups at 100 yds from the bench with my deer loads, 150 gr ballistic tip clocking 2950 fps.That is better than a lot of bolt rifles out there. My buddy has one in .308 and it shoots as well using factory ammo. You give up nothing in a hunting rifle in a BAR. You would have to go into super accurate varmint rifles to see any difference.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 AM

the biggest difference between is movable parts. both are very accurate. but w/ a-bolt you have less moving parts which gives you the advantage of not having a lock up or jam of ammo. I have both auto and a-bolt and use them both w/ no question. and have killed lots of deer w/ my .308 auto. thats why the military snipers use bolts . less chance of a foul up. but its your choice. good luck!!
Old 02-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Bigguy what load are you using in your Bar 30-06 ? I have two Bars and want to load 150's for them. Also would like to say who put the 200 yd limit on the Bar. Heck, I got a buck at 320 this year ! No problem at all to shoot a deer at 300 + with my Bar
Old 02-11-2004, 06:57 PM

Hi cheeta264,

The pressure siphoned off to operate the action is negligible. The resultant velocity loss is usually less than 25-50 fps. In other words....less than the standard deviation of many loads. It will have no appreciable bearing on the trajectory!

And as to the accuracy issue brought up by some.....I think you already know that is not a decisive issue. There are many BARs out there....that will shoot circles around many bolts. Not to worry!

Good luck!

Dave
Old 02-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

djkiller, you are right on the money. I have been a Law Enforcement sniper for 14 years and will confirm that virtually every L.E. and military sniper uses bolt action rifles. In fact almost all use the remington 700 action.

A bolt action rifle is more accurate and reliable period, end of story. There is no debate here.

I believe we are talking hunting rifles here and a BAR is an awesome choice for that purpose. It is quicker, however it is also heavier and more prone to malfunction. Chances are your first shot is the one that will matter and after that most shots after that are hail marys.

For the guy that consistanly shoots 1/2 or less groups at 100 yds. Keep that rifle because that certainly is very, very rare and certainly the exception vs. the rule. A lot of professional snipers don't shoot that consistant with match grade ammo, Leupold optics, and Krieger barrels. Actually the "deer load" ammo isn't even rated to be that accurate, don't take it from me, check with the manufactuer. Like I said if your are serious, don't ever sell that one, it's a one in a million BAR. I'm sure you also have Leupold or better optics on that rifle and are shooting from a vise. You should also start shooting competition because you will walk away with a boat load of trophys and you'd change alot of opinions after they saw those consistant groups.

Cybersniper

Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Here is my load for my Bar. 150 gr Nosler ballistic tip,58 gr. IMR 4350,OAL 3.296" WW brass,WW LR primer, this gives me 2950 Fps and I have shot .43" groups (3 shot) from the bench.

Quick Reply: BAR vs. A bolt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.