Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does any one not shoot does ?

Old 01-18-2004, 04:27 PM

Default RE: Does any one not shoot does ?

yes i hunt in n.y. , i didnt apply for the doe permits, it goes along with the sportsmans license package . in fact i only recieved 1 on the spot , about 2 weeks later they mailed me another .
Old 01-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

That comment wasn't directed at you, just a generallity. However, the doe permits are free with a sportsmans license, but that doen's mean people need to apply for them. That's why the transfer rule is so nice - it gets more permits in the hands of people that will use them.

where 'bouts in NY
Old 01-18-2004, 04:38 PM

That is an "old school" philosophy that you see a lot. Best way to deal with it is try and "educate" people that think that way on the benefits of shooting doe.
I know several people in the same situation, where they were taught by their fathers and are set in their fathers ways. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes change is needed. Tough to go against the "old man" though. Trust me, I know.
A friend on who's land I hunt told in jest me a couple of years ago that he was brought up is a time where it was OK to beat your wife---but you better never never shoot a doe. Old ways do die hard!!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

There comes a time when you either take does or loose the whole herd. This year I saw severl herds of Mule deer where there were say 80 does and four bucks. Of all the deer I saw this season and it was a hell of a lot, there were 8-9 does for every buck. Times change. We can either change our thinking or loose our deer herds to over population and deases that spread fast when herds overpopulate their habitat. And does taste better how can you loose. I had a lot of respect for my dad but was he always right? Is anyone always right? I think NOT.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

i never shot a doe cause my grandpa taught me how to hunt an he said not to shoot does cause hurts the population so much so i never did
Old 01-18-2004, 05:13 PM

doughboy , i hunt in sullivan co. the catskills about half way between binghamton and n.y.c. im not really to worried about the deer herd balance their are plenty of doe taken around here . this year in fact i saw as many does as bucks .
Old 01-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wrong. Wrong wrong.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have access to a nice 150 acre peice of land . the first year 5 of us got permission to hunt it, the landowner was very adamant about NOT shooting does. he said if you shot a doe you were kicked off. the first few years were great there, we saw many many bucks and took a few... flash forward 12 years...now, you will see 15-20-30 does in a morning, and MAYBE a scrubber buck. sure, there are always a few bruisers there, but overall the hunting has declined drastically.
i THINK (i'm no biologist) that it's because of the ridiculous doe population. All the freakyhorned inferior bucks get to breed, and there is defentetly not enough food to go around, so the deer now go elsewhere.
All i know is, on another patch i hunt, the landowner there said he would boot me if I DID'NT shoot does. and guess what? I whack as many as i legally can, he's happy, and there has been a P&Y taken there every year for the past 5 years. the overall deer hunting is much better there, and only a few miles separate the two spots.
am i making sense? i think it all has to do with responsible herd management..
-my .02
moose
Old 01-19-2004, 05:51 AM

buckmastr229,

i never shot a doe cause my grandpa taught me how to hunt an he said not to shoot does cause hurts the population so much so i never did
The reason the "old timers" never shot a doe, was because that the overall #'s of deer back in the day were low and in some areas very low or non-existant. My dad is one of these "old timers", so I know where your coming from. LOL Only shooting bucks and never taking out doe is just a game management tool to create a better deer herd in overall #'s, but not the quality of the herd. Not to mention, most of the "older" guys were meat hunters. Most likely because they had to be, to put food on the table for the family. I can only attest to the MN herd, because that's really all I know. But in this day and age, the overall #'s of deer are fine in some areas and over abundant in most. Deer management tools seem to be out of date in most states because of the changes in the deer herd. MN "FINALLY" changed their ways this season.....for the better. They now make it easier to get more doe tags throughout the state to try and deplete the overall population a bit. Some will say, that the guys that are only trophy hunting finally got their way with this, but in fact they are ignorant to the fact that the herd is out of whack and needs to have a better balance. They can still shoot their spike, fork or basket 6 and feel more proud of that than shooting a nice doe. But at least most of the guys are shooting a doe, which in turn helps the overall deer herd.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:11 AM

A lot of the old timers here in PA had that "no she deer shooting" mentality, and passed it down to their young 'uns. But after seeing the damage that the deer were doing to the ecology because of overpopulation, a lot of the younger, more educated hunters are killing the doe to keep the herd in balance and to protect the forests.

Quick Reply: Does any one not shoot does ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.