Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does any one not shoot does ?

Old 01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does any one not shoot does ?

Our group used to take four or five doe and two buck a year until about four years ago we have taken only one doe since. There is one doe for probably every two buck now. This fall I seen 13 buck and one doe when out with the camera during season we seen a total of five antlerless ten. My trail cameras show the same thing. We will start to take doe again when the herd increases again.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:58 AM

during early bow season i pass up doe and small buck waiting for a nice on then gun season anything that is big enuff ill bust same with late bow season
Old 01-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I buy doe tags when available. I will hold out for a mature buck on my either sex tag each year but if I need the meat I have no problem using my either sex tag on a doe vs a immature buck.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:22 PM

well in georia,you are allowed to shoot 2 bucks and 8 does,that shows how many does there are.i believe you have to shoot does so when the rut comes around, the big bucks have to get up and move around to find does,if there are so many does around he doenst have to move at all to mate and therefor you wont see him as much,but if there are less does that means he has to roam alot to find them,given you a chance to kill him and you will have bigger bucks spreading their genes then smaller ones gettting alot of does pregnant.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

here is a link with pics of what i took this year. we aloud 2 deer. we could take 1 buck and 1 doe or 2 doe. i took 2 doe for the meat and let small bucks grow another year. their were several big bucks that i saw during bow season and just couldnt get them in range. closest was about 45 yrds. but thick cover and couldnt shoot. doe are over populated and need to be controled. franklin county( columbus ohio ) is an urban zone and if you have land to hunt there you can take up to 6 deer. 5 doe and 1 buck ) so yes i kill doe and will continue to do so as long as it is legal and the bucks are too young to shoot. i want a wall hanger and if it takes a few years i can wait. here is the link for my kill this year shot 1 friday afternoon and one saturday afternoon . neck shot and a head on cheat shot. didi hurt any meat so i got a plenty. notice the small bucks on the shop wall. those are babies compaired to the ones on my buddies wall. he has 2 brothers and they all 3 have at least 4 big bucks on the wall. no more room for the small ones in the house.
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkP...03b4da&size=lg
Old 01-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

We shoot them,it's really helped our herd.We're seeing bigger bucks now.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:20 PM

i am the minority , i dont shoot does ! , i was brought up not to shoot them . my father doesnt believe in it ,his reasoning is if you shoot a doe you are actually killing 3 deer , the doe and possibly 2 fawns . personally i have no problems with other people shooting them . sure i get doe permits this year i recieved 2 i signed them over to friends . they were both filled . i relize it is a deer management tool . but if i took one i couldnt look my father in the eye and admit that i shot a doe . what to do?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:28 PM

i just started deer hunting...and i would be happy with a doe..........
Old 01-17-2004, 06:31 PM

In most of the southern counties of Alabama you can take two does a day or a buck and a doe a day for the entire 75 day season. There is a huge effort underway to balance the population and get the ratio even. Many hunting clubs require that you take 2 to 3 does in the season. Such management practices are paying off in larger and more bucks in areas that have had a program underway for 2 to 3 years.

This year I have taken two does and one buck.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is an "old school" philosophy that you see a lot. Best way to deal with it is try and "educate" people that think that way on the benefits of shooting doe.
I know several people in the same situation, where they were taught by their fathers and are set in their fathers ways. Not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes change is needed. Tough to go against the "old man" though. Trust me, I know.
Hunting in NY, the one thing I can't stand is people that apply for doe permits and do not(on purpose)/will not use them. That just takes away from those that will take doe.

ps - you said you signed over your permits - you hunt in NY? The sign over of permits is new to NY and I really like the rule

Quick Reply: Does any one not shoot does ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.