Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Took my nephew hunting 6 years old!

Old 01-12-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Took my nephew hunting 6 years old!

Well we all know it's good to get the little hunters started early but how are we all supposed to handle the aggrivation of the short attention span? I wanted to be on stand until about 11 but he was ready at 8:30am

It was fun getting him to shoot the carbine through a scope and watching him tremble at the first signs of deer. And watching him admire the Axis doe that I harvested this weekend.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Took my nephew hunting 6 years old!

handle the aggrivation of the short attention span?
Just dedicate that day to them. I take my son, 3 years old, all the time. When we hunt I know we're heading home early.
He was able to sit still enough for us to be able to kill a gobbler last year and we killed a 4-pointer together this year.
The more he goes, the longer he is willing to wait on some animal to show up.
It's all hunting to him right now, so if he's getting bored, he'd just a soon you shoot that squirrel so he can go play!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:31 AM

Yep I dedicated the whole weekend to him and because it was the end of the year it didn't really matter much to me. He had a blast and about crapped his pants when that first deer started to stage but he was so noisy it never showed itself.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats great. And it is a wonderful thing you are doing for him. Keep it up!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good to hear you took him out bobo, a kill is not important, the time together no matter how little is the important part, as he gets older he will do better, so far I have only taken my girls on afternoon hunts, that way they can tell by the sun how much longer we will be on stand, of course when the deer are there they are willing to stay forever.