Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

I have grown up in a shotgun only area and hunted that way my whole life. I also hunt in some woods of different thickness but rarely can I see more then 100 yards from my tree stand........more likely about 70 or less. My farthest shot taking a deer was a buck I killed last year walking at about 65 yards. We just don't get to take shots over 40 yards usually.

What I am getting at is when a deer is 40 yards away you still have to be very careful with your movements and scent concerns and the slightest noise could be the difference between success and eating tags.

Now in rifle areas where guys can take shots out to and past 250 yards with no problem.........hell, you could be cooking breakfast and listening to the radio around a fire pit and still not spook a deer 300 yards away. When a deer comes out at that distance you really have no concerns about being busted by sight, smell, sound, or even movement........all you have to do is be able to shoot accurately.

So is taking a deer at 300 yards more shooting then hunting?? I would have to say so. I can't think of one hunting skill that is required to take a deer at far range........besides knowing where they are. Good marksman skills are a must for long shots like that for sure.

Opinions??
Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

I hunt antelope, mulies and elk and most of my shots are between 150-300yds. You are quite wrong about them not spooking at these distances. I have sneezed and the elk herd 200 yds away spooked. Have you EVER HUNTED OUT WEST?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: j3k2c1

I hunt antelope, mulies and elk and most of my shots are between 150-300yds. You are quite wrong about them not spooking at these distances.
I didn't mean it was impossible to spook one........but if an animal is 300 yards away you would have to be doing jumping jacks in an open field for them to spot you...............and you don't really have to worry about them hearing the click of your safety ya know

I have sneezed and the elk herd 200 yds away spooked.
That must have been one heck of a sneeze

Have you EVER HUNTED OUT WEST?
No.....Why??......do deer hear, see and smell better out there??
Old 01-10-2004, 11:39 AM

I had to leave before I could mention that most of the western game animals have more acute eyesight and hearing. They are also in more open country so you can't get any closer than 200 yds most of the time.

To finish, I would say that by sitting in a stand waiting for a deer to come you are doing more of a shoot than a hunt, when compared to spot-and-stalk hunting.
Reasons:
1. Your biggest effort is put into not falling asleep on the stand.
2. The most physical activity that you will do is going to and from the stand.
3. You can't discredit long distance shooting as not hunting when we have more of a physical workout than you do -locating game, getting near game, getting a decent shot position with out spooking the game, etc.
4. Mulies, elk, and antelope all spook at distances over a mile for simple reasons as: a cough/sneeze/burp/fart, the swirling winds are MUCH worse in wide open areas and can carry your scent (even with a cover scent) over 3 miles in every direction that can cause all the game to dissapear for DAYS at a time, and to top off all of this these animals can see through the best camo when bow/muzzleloading and they spot hunter orange aat over 4 miles away.

I have had antelope spook from over 3 miles off when we ran out of brush for 15 yds. Elk have smelled us when 1 mile away. We have thought that the deer couldn't see us crouching in the tree line when they were1.5 miles off.

Have you even hunted in the west like this before? From what you have stated I am forced to say that you have not. You should know what your talking about before you put down a method of hunting. And yes I have hunted from a stand in PA, IL, IO, and VA. Personally I hate it.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I don`t think atlas was talking about spot and stalk, and I`m pretty sure he`s
talking about deer, not elk and antelope.
I have never hunted out west but that would have to be one heck of
an animal to bust you off a burp a mile away!!
I know what you are saying about hunting the wide open west and you have
to work your way in for a shot, but in a "not so wide open area" there are
still shot opportunities over 150 yds.
In that case I would agree with atlas, much more difficult to get a deer 30
or 40 yds. away.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:58 AM

I don't know where you hunt, but you must have some really dumb animals. You won't just walk over a hill at 300 yards talking, sneezing, standing straight up, on a bunch of antelope, deer, or elk, and expect them not to notice you and booger on out of there.

There's a saying that says, "The hunt should be the challenge..........not the shot" Could it be that bad hunters/shooters have more of a challenge shooting than hunting??????

Another way of looking at this is........If a bow's max range is 35 yards and a rifles max range is 350 yards. Is the bow hunter just shooting or hunting at 35 yards? Effective range is just, that weather it be 35 yards or 350 yards

Also don't give me this stuff about the deer (or whatever) doesn't even know your around at 300 yards. Well a deer better not know your around at 30 yards when your using a bow or you won't get him either.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:20 PM

I think it is a matter of "degree" and how you choose to define your hunting experience. I'm sure that most muzzleloading hunters choose to believe what they do is more "sporting" than a centerfire cartridge rifle hunter. I'm sure that most bow hunters believe they are being more "sporting" (ie. a better hunter) than a muzzleloading hunter. And I'm sure a traditional bow hunter believes he has a "tougher task" to tag...then a compound user.

It is all in the "eye of the beholder"!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:37 PM

Atlasman has a good point, to a certain extent. If the guy out west, in a large open area, is with a guide, then I would have to say it's definately "shooting". However, if he's done his homework and goes out glassing the countryside, spots, stalks and bags the game himself, then he's done rather well for himself. You can't take away from the man. I would love to do that myself someday (without the guide). Two reasons for no guide.............. #1 no middle man to pay and #2 degree of difficulty (it's much greater). One more thing.....no game preserve! Too easy (sorry fellas).

Atlasman, I too hunt NY. For years I've hunted the Adirondacks and their Foothills. I haven't seen/taken many shots over 35-40 yards. You have to be silent and motionless on watch due to the fact that deer sneak right up on you. The chances of getting busted are extrememly high! Far too many hiding places. Now I hunt out in Western NY and it is a beautiful thing. I invite all my friends from the Adirondacks out here and they cannot believe the difference. We usually pass on 10-15 bucks in the first two weeks of the season. In the Adirondacks, unless you have your own SWEET plot, you can't afford to pass squat!

Bn'R
Old 01-10-2004, 12:54 PM

I don't hunt with a guide, I do my homework and right now with the drought going on and with a terrible upswing in cougar population if you see a buck deer while hunting you're lucky.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Ak it is all what we are use to and unless you have done it prior it is hard to explain or really form an opinion. The fact remains less guys hunt during bow and Ml season so while the effective range is limited by the weapon the pressure, etc makes this somewhat appeased. During rifle the game has been chased by bow and ml hunters already, then throw on top the on slaught of rifle hunters on opening day and well lets just say they don't stand in the open very much. It depends on the style as well, I don't find sitting in a treestand waiting for a deer to be overly challenging, as such I hunt from the ground...but does that mean I think those who hunt in a treestand are not as good as me...hell no! I have tried it and prefer to hunt on the ground, it is my own choice and what someone else does or thinks is of no concern to me! It also depends on the area we hunt, when she is wide open shots can be close and they can be far, there are no trees for treestands and blinds may not even be an option we may opt for other techniques, such as spot n stalk or still hunting a ravine...it is different but it most definately is HUNTING.

Hey don't knock it until you try! If then after hunting the different terrain and methods you feel it isn't for you, well that is your choice to make and why yes your opinion...but it certainily don't make us shooters and you a hunter

Quick Reply: Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.