Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

Old 01-10-2004, 01:09 PM

Default RE: Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

p.s. Although I find stand hunting to be quite peaceful (a nice place to gather one' thoughts), I have to agree that's it is definately not my favorite. I love to be on the move. However, for the most part, it's way too easy to get busted in the hills with the thick vegetation and all (unless you're on drive).

Otherwise, It's almost as if you are being "the hunted".

I don't like the feeling
Old 01-10-2004, 01:33 PM

Bucknrut-
amen! That is how I formed my opinion of hunting from the ground!
Old 01-10-2004, 01:45 PM

Atlasman, I agree with you 100% on everything you said. But I think you just opened one giant can of worms. Most people who have never been close enough to there quarry to smell them will never understand just what hunting is really all about.

All right guys I got my hockey mask on, so comense with the shots.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atlasman-Your hunting experience is obviously very limited in nature.Have you ever hunted the open prairies for deer?Try walking upwind of a big buck in mid season and see if he sticks around.Have you ever hunted pronghorn?When a buck sees you at 500 yards he move away.If you ever hunt sheep you will see that bighorn rams start climbing for the summit when they see you walk into a drainage a half mile away.It's easy to theorize about things that you have not tried but reality is often very different indeed.

nyflyer-I have taken deer with my bow so I have taken them at very close range.However Once the rifle season opens and people start spooking the deer the situation changes drastically.By the way do you use a bow or a gun?With your attitude about being close I would think that in your opinion, using a firearm would be shooting and not hunting.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have already stated that your longest shot ever was 65 yards and have zip point squat experience at ranges much longer than 100 yds. How can you then proclaim that the deer at greater distances are not affected by motion, noise or scent? I have had deer at 50 yds and less with no apparent concern and I have had them at 250 yds and more that were as nervouse as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Until you have a little more background, don't be so quick to judge.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Back in the day. Before my hip went bad I would just bash them in the head with a rock. That was hunting. Now with all these new fangeled scent covers, arrows with razor blades on the end of them. Guns and the such. Well that ain't hunting, that's just killing. Good grief what a pointless thread.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:12 PM

i am a rifle hunter and a deer can see a coyote at 300 yards right? so why not me? but then i hunt the bush and like my shots under 75 yards
Old 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM
jjt

Good grief what a pointless thread.
i have got to agree with A5Mag12

atlasman and those who agree with him this is a close minded view in which you have voiced your complete ignorance to hunting in the west
Old 01-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Na, na, na, na, na........my thing's bigger than yours! (Translated: My hunt's harder than yours.)

On this one.....I agree with the women 100 percent.....some boys never grow up!

P.S. Good grief!!!!!

P.S.S. This post was not intended for jjt....but rather all the "mines bigger than yours" fellas!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another "My way is better, harder, more ethical, bla, bla, bla, " thread.

Quick Reply: Is it hunting??..........or Shooting??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.