Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

once a spike always a spike ?

Old 01-08-2004, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: once a spike always a spike ?

I agree that it is a myth that once a spike always a spike. It all depends upon genetics, nutrition and age. A buck that is born late in the spring stands a good chance in some areas of being a spike instead of a 4 point, also due to a dry summer or over population cutting down on their nutrition can create a spike. There are rare instances of 4 1/2 year old spikes, but they are rare.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

if the genitics are bad it could be possible that every now and then one will be but for the most part they will grow a second year rack now with that being said I have pics of a spike with at least 9 inch spike. and a second with the same size spike on one side and the same on the other side but forks about 1or 2 inch from top. both very ;big bodied deer and good genitics in this area.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

in NJ we got alotta spikes and i have NEVER seen a deer on the hoof that was a spike two years in a row. while shed huntin last year, i found my FIRST and only ever mature spike antlers!! they were cracked and bleached. they were also 6 inches UNDER THE GROUND.. here is the picture!! to see more pics, go to my website..
Old 01-08-2004, 05:25 PM

My bet is that was an old deer that had started to shrink back down...but that is my opinion...
Old 01-08-2004, 05:30 PM

without seeing his jawbone,it's hard to age a deer.with no more mass than that buck has, i would be surprised if he was over 11/2 years old.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

loner... there is no way in hell that is a 1 1/2 year old buck!!

I dunno if you can tell from the picture but the circumference of the beam is 4 5/8" above the pedical. this is definitely a very old buck with bad genetics. the deer dont get alotta mass in this area, so 4 5/8 inches is a good amount for a buck.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

KoBear, them there ain't no sheds, theres a whole lots of skull still attached!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i never said they were sheds.

i was lookin for some sheds, and saw a white branch outta the ground. i uprooted a bush and saw another tip stickin out the other side. so, by digging with my 6" buck knife, i found the buck where it died. skull was sooo deteriorated though that it fell apart while i took it outta the ground. it was like looking for a doe for meat and end up shooting a buck. thats the way it goes. and i didnt feel like making a separate category on my website just for this buck. no broken tines either, it was a spike. it looks like it may get a drop of the left in a couple of year, but its dead, so it looks like that aint happening.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:11 PM

How wide is that cowhorn rack KoBear?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got ya now Kobear! Didn't mean to imply anything!
Last year I saw a rack similar to that one on a large bodied deer. Obviously he was no young buck. As others have said though, there are many factors in spike deer! Late births, nutrition, as well as genetics, I have seen pictures of spikes that grew impressive racks in later years

Quick Reply: once a spike always a spike ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.