Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2003....wow

Old 12-28-2003, 08:32 PM

Default 2003....wow

As far as deer season goes 2003 was terrible for me. I was in the final stages of moving through most of bow season so I only got to hunt a couple of times. Needless to say I was pumped for gun season, all summer and even during bow seasons on my travels to and from work I was seeing deer and bear everywhere. Two days before gun season opened the thermostat went out on my truck, got it fixed and figured I had dodged the bullet. One day before season the fuel pump goes out, got it fixed, dodged another bullet. Made it to the area that we were going to hunt the afternoon before opener, in the places that we had been seeing tons of deer, there suddenly were none. High wind and rain didnt help matters any on the first two days. The rest of the two weeks went by with only a few deer, I mean less than 10 being seen. When the weather changed, snow on the ground we began seeing tracks on top of tracks but still no deer. then 2 days before season ended my truck lost the transmission. Needless to say I was pumped for black powder by this time. Between weather and work and sickness in the family I got to hunt one day so I figured I would stock up on meat on the last 4 days of doe season. I was going to hunt in the afternoon of christmas day, but that morning I found the only spot of ice in my driveway which took my left knee and sent me to the hospital. On the bright side I have a full year to get ready for next year.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2003....wow

Sounds like if it weren't for bad luck, you wouln't have any. Glad to see you're keeping your chin up. Good luck for next season, hope it'll all be out of your system by then. Hope the knee gets better too. I know how that feels from experience.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 PM

good luck next season!--as for knee injury's they s...=not fun at all!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:32 PM

I know the feeling. The tranny on my truck went out in the back pasture during the season. I limped it back to camp before it died completely and borrowed my uncles old Bronco. . . which I went out and high centered on the way to the stand. Fortunetly, I already had my 2 bucks by then and was going hunting with the video camera and rifle for piggys, but still, that was not fun. It's odd how thinsg work out. Texas, at least this part, had one of the best seasons in a long time. Right amount of rain at the right time made for some nice racks. All the little pencil horn cedar goat we were used to seeing became decent bucks and the big ones were awesome. I got mine, my unlce bagged a 16 pt monster (148 inches, which is unreal free range in our region) And a few more wall hangers were hanging in the tree.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chalk it up as a fluke year. It happens. Sometimes the planets get aligned in such a fashion that you're doomed!! Everyone has their moments of unpreventable string of bad luck. This phenomenon is usually followed up by overwhelming succes in the proceding season so be prepared to have an great year next year.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:52 AM

thats the great thing about hunting ....there is always next year
Old 12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Man, what luck. I would invest in a newer truck before next season. I am proud of you that you're able to keep your chin up during this fiasco. Your next season will make up for this season.

The same thing happened to the deer in my area before and during season. I saw at least 20-25 deer in the area that I hunted pre-season, but as soon as season began, they disappeared. I ended up taking a nice big-bodied spike buck this year. Again, good luck next year.