Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

THERMACARE- they are heating stones that have velcro, they stay hot for hours........you can get them at walgreens or eckerds...just look by the back aching stuff.....

here's a link:

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/b...param=xsp77722
Old 12-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Haven't tried this myself but sounds like it would work. Take a camo t-shirt, cut off the sleeves and put them on the back of the shirt at the kidney area. And put 2 heat paks in. Keep the blood flowing through the kidneys and the rest will take care of itself. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Move to Texas!!! Hunt out of a box blind 16 feet off the ground shut all but one window and crank up the propane heater. I know its not considered roughing it, but why suffer? If you stay on your stand an extra two hours because you are comfortable it will up your odds of seeing more deer. By the way opening day I hunted in shorts and a t-shirt that afternoon. Now thats roughing it Texas style.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:49 PM

It sounds like most every one in here is on the right track the only thing I can add in after 25 years of huntin and only just now learnin to keep warm all day while on stand are these add ins
1. loosen boots while on stand to keep good circulation to feet
2. try using insulated Frankinstein boot bags without your boots when sitting
3. Layer clothing
4. Pack in your clothes, so as not to sweat, nothing will make you colder faster
5. Cover your head
6. There's alot to be said for new clothing technology
7. buy a Baclav I never enter the woods without it.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:13 PM

i use pocket hand warmers, and bundle up in a lot of clothes.. just recently i got a tree stand with a swivel seat on it and it came with a pocket on the seat to keep my butt warm with a pocket warmer... its very nice.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Where do you get this UNderarmour shirt and stuff ? Guys I sure appreciate all the helpful replies. I'm going to try as many as possible. Anyone have experience with carhart bibs or overalls as an outer layer ? and if I didn't say it Happy Holidays to everyone !
Old 12-26-2003, 10:29 AM

Online I would check out Cabela's website. Elsewhere, I would shop at my local hunting store, Wally World, Outdoor World, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc.

T
Old 12-26-2003, 10:30 AM

I got my Under Armour at Dicks. You can order it from Cabelas or Bass pro I think. Its kind of expensive $50 for the shirt and $45 for the pants, I got mine as an early X-mas gift. The more I use it the more I love it, the big thing is it keeps you dry, you can hike for miles and it wicks all the moisture from your skin so when you get to your stand you dont loose all that body heat from that moisture evaperating from your skin. Its not very wind proof though so I would still wear something over it to block the wind, but it will take the place of 2 or 3 layers you would normaly wear to stay warm.