Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Old 12-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Default RE: What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Under Armor Cold Gear is some awesome stuff, keeps you dry when your hiking to your stand and keeps you warm when you get there. If I can keep my feet warm I can usually last a long time in the stand with that stuff, but once those toes get cold I'm done...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently bought a heater body suit. Its is sort of like a sleeping bag with legs. They sell them on their website for about 280 I got mine new on ebay for half that amount................dabow
Old 12-24-2003, 08:01 AM

i carry a flask of Crown Royal, Special Reserve that is, HAHA
Old 12-24-2003, 08:15 AM

Here's a little trick I learned from the little woman. Buy a pack of knee high nylons (not sheer), Put them on against the skin, then your other footware. I even inherited a couple pair of thigh higs, they help keep the lower legs warm.
I asked the wife why she never told me how much they help keeping the cold from a person's feet/legs. She replied, "we don,t tell all of our secrets to you guys." Try a pair, nobody will see them.LOL

Russ
Old 12-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nutrition first! If you eat a heavy, hard to digest meal within 3 hours of getting on stand your body will be spending energy on digestion and sending energy (heat) to your core.......core temp is agood thing to have...but not at the expense of your extrtemeties. ... this will leave your fingers and toes feeling left out...and cold! Oatmeal is better than sausage, pancakes are better than bacon, grits are better than steak. I'm not saying not to eat protien or fats...but that is better left for the evening meal when you will have plenty time to process the harder to process energy foods.
That said, the layering is the key. When I'm going to be SITTING for a long time when it is brutal out, I layer in the following ways....some of these components may get left out or taken off depending on the conditions...BTW, without a high quality hat you may as well stay home... same goes for a good pac boot and neck gaiter. And obviously, as others have stated...you may wish to pack most of it in a large backpack so as not to work up a sweat on the awy in...the distance you have to travel will dictate this. The chemical heaters can be great for handwamers...I like to use a couple big ones placed over my kidneys. all these things have helped me stay out ice fishing on the open ice in brutal conditions...so it will work in the woods also.
The layers I employ are....(from the skin on out)
1. Silk 2. polyprpelene/wool blend underwear 3. fleece 4. wool 5. Top coat of a windbreak and water repellant substance.
This may sound like so much gear that you couldn't move...well just keep the layers thin and you will be fine.....if the weather warrants fewer layers then some of the layers can be heavier or thinner as needed.
when I move around, as is often the case, I wear only the polypropelene underwear, next my wool pants and shirt, then boots coat hat , gloves. I then carry a fleece zip up shirt-jack, a neck gaiter and rain gear. And if you're planning on your stand being in a tree be very careful trying to climb up and down when layered up. You can alway decide not to put it on..or maybe take it off...but if you need it and don't have it you will be miserable or have to leave too soon...which will also make you miserable!
Stay warm.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

I used to be able to withstand the cold in my younger years - before I had a kidney stone surgically removed. Ever since then, my kidneys get cold quicker and I have to walk to warm up. I take a Military Mummy Type Sleeping Bag with me. Once I cool down from walking I unzip the bag, put it over my shoulders and can sit for hours toasty warm.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:49 AM

Agree wholeheartedly on the hat. You'd be surprised how much body heat is lost through your head. I like a camo wool stocking cap and most times use this combined with a neckwarmer.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget to wear a warm hat. A lot of heat goes out the chimney.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a lite weight mesh vest with pockets around the chest and back that hold like 6 to 8 heat packs. the new heat pack warmers last 10 to 16 hours depending on the brand. the vest cost around 20$. i got it online. just do a search on hand warmers and accesories. i think its made by a company called coals. i put a shirt of lite polypropelene on first then the heat vest then a heavy fleece or wool shirt with wind protection lining then my winter camo jumpsuit. i put a hand warmer in each pocket and one on the back of my neck while in the stand. you wouldnt believe how much cold you can stand. i use a poly pro face mask and a regular face mask on top of that. they also sell foam boot soul inserts that take a heat pack that i like better than just shoving a heat pack into my boots because it doesnt feel lumpy. NEVER PUT THOSE HAND WARMERS OR HEAT PACKS AGAINST YOUR SKIN BECAUSE IT WILL LEAVE A BURN! I HAD A SOCK WEAR OUT AND I GOT A SCAR AND A BURN FROM THE HEAT pack without feeling a thing. its alot of gear and work but if your gonna spend the whole day its worth it. just pack in your clothes because you will sweat with all of your gear on. STAY WARM!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:03 PM

instead of the womans nylon get some silk longjohns I got some heavywieght ones from cabelas then layer fleece over thatwith one layer to break the wind definatly pack as much as possible in because if you sweat and get wet nothing will keep you warm

Quick Reply: What do you use to stay warm on stand ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.