Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy/Meat II

Old 12-20-2003, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Trophy/Meat II

I usually take at least a doe each year but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot a fawn. For heard management or for somebody who really likes the meat, I have nothing against it necessarily, but I choose not to do so.

Cisco:
That is understandleable. Here in MD we can take up to 12 deer just in the region I hunt. 4 bow, 4 muzzleloader and 4 shotgun/rifle. You can also go out of your region and take 12 more if anyone was ever that lucky. In fact you could legally kill 48 deer here in a season if you maxed out every way in all 4 regions.
This isn't quite accurate Cisco. In Region C in Maryland you can kill an unlimited number of antlerless deer with a bow, muzzleloader, or gun. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

No I don't shoot fawns. Typically I get 1 either sex tag and an anterless tag for whitetails a year. I save my either sex tag for a mature buck and try to take a dry doe with the anterless. I was brought up to not shoot a doe with fawns and I guess it has stuck with me for 20 plus years. I don't have a problem with those who choose to shoot fawns or a doe with fawns though, to each their own.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:34 AM

Shoot a fawn??Thats all PETA needs to hear to give hunters a real bad name.To me, hunting represents a challenge, there's no challenge in shooting a fawn, therefore I can't consider it hunting.More like shooting kids in a playground, call it what you want, immoral, unethical, whatever.JMO.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:14 AM

Jimbo, That maybe the case. I hunt region D. But my point was to stumblejumber that if I had very limited tags I would be more selective but here it is not like if you shoot something early for meat you are wasting a potential trophy tag.

Yeah plainsman that is a great analogy "like shooting kids in the play ground" gimme a break. You act like killing a fawn is as easy as walking to the woods edge and whistleing and it will come running to you like a dog. It maybe your opinion that shooting fawns isn't a good idea for management reasons, I still don't see the ethical issue but killing any deer is a challange for me and I shot this fawn the day before the last day of shotgun season here so I took what I got. That is all that is to it. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: plainsman

a fawn, therefore I can't consider it hunting.More like shooting kids in a playground,
Oh please, give me a break. Yeah, fawns are easier to hunt than mature deer, but they don't come running up to you looking for a treat when you walk into the woods. And shooting kids in a playground, I won't even comment on that one. In NY, the deer are in such high numbers, and the amount of damage they do, it is IMO just fine to shoot them if that is what you want to shoot. I won't shoot one with spots though. I shot two mature and two yearlings this year and didn't think twice about pulling the trigger on them. They taste mighty good, and they won't be running in front of my car this year or ruining the farmers crops. If you want to shoot only mature deer, that is fine, but don't equate people who have a different opinion with child killers.[]
Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

The description of the term fawn would have to be determined. When I here the term fawn I think of a spotted or very young deer. In other parts of the country the term applies to a deer up to a year old.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:31 AM

I have killed first year deer in the past. Probally 5 or 6 over the past 20 years.
It was usually a case of the deer seeming bigger than it actually was. I tend to pass them up now though and give them a chance to live awhile.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:52 AM

if you want to shoot a fawn or small deer or whatever you want to call it go for it, once a year we have a wildlife cookout, and yea i am responsible for the deer meat, amazing what a 50lb doe taste like after being on the smoker 6-7 hrs with hickory wood and charcoal, so yes i shoot 1 every year
Old 12-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

No spots and not a button is in the freezer.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:24 AM

I do not want Baby, I want Mommy or Daddy or better yet GRANDPA!!

Quick Reply: Trophy/Meat II

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.