Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poll on hunting in high fences.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poll on hunting in high fences.

farmcntry

You're so right!! A full freezer is definitely a trophy. I would rather have a full freezer any day than something on the wall. The wall mount is just an added bonus.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm still trying to figure out the left handed thing. Now that is true talent.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

NY, break your right arm. You'll figure it out.

Of course many more links like the ones in the offseason and someone will probably break it for ya.[8D]
Old 12-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nub.

No sir I wouldnt dare shoot that deer. He is standing on U.S. government property. It is the Ravenna arsonal. It is a weaponary depot for the U.S. armed forces. It is the same grounds the hole in the horn buck came from. I only live a 5 minutes drive away. I have many many of the bucks there on video absolute monsters. I shoot them with the camera but never with a bow or gun

I earlier stated I would not hunt in an encloser, what would make this circumstance any different??
Old 12-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Never have......never will.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:52 PM

Hunting behind a high fence isn't hunting, it's killing.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted high fences and you cant tame a whitetail on a large ranch. They are still free roaming. But on the other hand high fences do trap a deer within its confinement and well, do deer actually belong to one person ? No the deer belong to the state, to the public of that state, so how can one contain them and then charge for them ? Thats not your deer they belong to all of us, we as the public.
I for one am for bringing down all high fences, it's pushing the cost of hunting way up there where only the wealthy are able to do it. Pisses me off when I see those tv shows that say
( take a kid hunting ) wish I could but the prices of deer hunting or leases or whatever are going to the sky. I blame it on the commerciallization of hunting, high fences are a problem and will be if we let them keep doing it.
It's against the law to sell deer meat but how are ranchers allowed to sell deer to harvest ?Same thing to me.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:53 AM

I've never tried it, sounds like could be fun, but after reading all of these different posts on how the deer are tamed-in a sense- that doesnt sound like a whole lot of fun to me. thats not saying that if givin opp to do so, id turn it down. You bet i'd go, just to check it out to gather own first hand thoughts. like stated by many-to each there own.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Our ranch is high fenced and I think it's great! That way some yahoo on the other side of the fence cant kill that buck that we have been feeding proteen to for 5 or 6 years. If you are into game management, and want results, high fence is necessary.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

To all you guys that think that hunting behind high fence is like a "canned" hunt....Let me give you guys a little more insight on this subject.

Now some of you may wonder, "why is this guy about to talk about census..." I will explain in a few minutes so bear with me.....

I read an article in either Field and Stream or Hunting News or one of those publications several years back. The article was about taking a census of your deer herd.

This guy wanted to prove that taking an accurate census of a deer herd is impossible and this is how he did it. He had a 100 acre tract completely enclosed by high fence. On this 100 acres, he released 100 deer. Using every form of census taking used (drives, helecopter, spot light....) the best count they could manage was around 50% of the deer. When all was said and done, they trapped the deer again on this place and there was still 100 deer, every one accounted for.

Point is, if you guys think that hunting deer behind high fence is not sporting concider this...

In this example we are talking about 100 acres. Most ranches that high fence thier land are over 1000 acres and the reason they do it is to manage thier herd with protein and select harvest. The young bucks (1 1/2 - 4 1/2) are not harvested, thereby they get to grow to thier full potential. Now, if any of you think that a buck that is on a 1000 acre ranch, high fence or not, that is over 5 1/2 yrs of age isn't a challenge to harvest then you truly are mistaken. You still have to scout and find sign and everything that is concidered hunting.
Now if a guide does all this work and somebody else shoots the deer, then we have another debate as in if this is truly hunting.

If you think that game management in this respect is not work then you have never done it.

So really, this poll should be about hunting with an outfitter. Not about hunting inside a high fence.

JMHO

Quick Reply: Poll on hunting in high fences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.