Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poll on hunting in high fences.

Old 12-26-2003, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Poll on hunting in high fences.

If it is in a pen then it is no more that a cow with antlers.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-27-2003, 10:31 AM

you say the fence is designed to keep game out and not keep game in.if this is the case where are the deer allowed to roam freely and get out. the people that work these ranches know exactly where to look for the animals and often where to look for a single animal. wonder why?because they have had their natural movements altered. i have hunted near these fences for several years and have heard the stories of deer jumping the high fences. i have never seen it.there are films and pics of deer jumping everything else. why is there no pics of this. this is just started by those who like high fences. for the sake of wanting a trophy deer people fence them inthey are putting the size of the rack above the treatment of the deer.[:@]
Old 12-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

dep214, I am not sure who said that a a deer can jump a high fence. I seriously doubt that any deer could clear an 8' fence. No way are they going to clear a 10' fence.

As to your remark about putting the size of the rack above the treatment of the deer......I am sure that some high fence operations are not real good to their animals, just like some ranchers are not real good to their cattle.

Several people here are putting blind emotion in front of common sense.

High fence hunting establishments are not going to be the cause of the end of hunting.

They are nothing more than a business. Like any business they can be run properly, which means giving the animals room to move, providing adequate feed, and innocculations, just like domestic animals.

If this type of hunting experience is not for you, that is fine. For many people, it is completely acceptable.

It is also legal.

I am really starting to believe that alot of the resistance I am seeing to these operations are coming from jealousy. I sure hope that is not the case.

I bet if going to a high fence operation and shooting a 180" buck only cost $500.00, many of the people ranting about this practice would suddenly be active participants.

Tell me I am wrong!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:14 AM

you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!where do you compare the treatment of animals with jealousy?that is the first time i have ever heard that excuse.the purpose of these fences is to raise a wild animal to a certain size and then shoot it. i notice quiet a bit that many high fence operations will not tell you how big their ranches are in their web sites?i took a tour of a high fence ranch 2 years ago in s texas. it was very nice, clean,and ran well.what bothered me was that the guide knew exactly where to look for the animals andalso knew what time of the day where they would be. whethere are not you will admit it this is caused by the enclosure. the ranch even admitted to that.i bet you are assuming this was a small ranch.wrong. it was 7,000 acres.exotics are a joke to me.there is almost no hunting skill involved in a high fence ranch. how do you call it hunting where a group can follow the hunter around while he lamely stalks the animal.high fences are not hunting. it is just shooting.very,very few can afford these so called hunts.those who can are most often the well to do.the do not have the time to have a lease so they go to a high fence ranch. i wonder why?
Old 12-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, back up, count to ten. Geez, again you are not comprehending what was clearing posted in front of you.

The treatment of the animals and the jealousy were CLEARLY two different subjects.

How can one justify calling it hunting? Pretty simple actually. You use a weapon to kill an animal. You hunted it, you killed it.

First, don`t make the mistake of lumping all operations like this together.

Second, if you don`t like this style of hunting, DON`T PARTICIPATE!

Do you have any idea how many hunters think that using bait stations/feeders is as unethical as it gets.

Same can be said about deer drives, or running deer with dogs, or treestand hunting.

These things are all legal in certain parts of the country.

Hey, I can tell you where we can probably find a nice 9 point buck bedded right this minute. He is on open range, public hunting land. Some animals get fairly predictable.

I am not going to say that by having the animals inside of a fence, regardless of the size, does not have the potential to make it easier to find, pattern, kill them.

SO WHAT? What is your point? Don`t like it......you know the answer.

You go sit in your ground blind by a feeder, and I will go perch in my treestand like a dang vulture.

I hope you get a good one, cause you`re doing it legal, and so am I.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My mom told me one time to never argue with a Fool because if someone were listening, they wouldn't know who the Fool is. I think human nature is intresting how we always try to prove I am right and you are wrong attitude.
I myself have never hunted behind a fence but I would not say I never would because I don't know what the future holds. I have considered going on a buffalo hunt for $700.00 and these are behind fences but I would never consider this as an actual hunt but more of putting meat in the freezer.
I myself work too hard during season in doing my homework in scouting stalking and/or pursueing deer or big game and I earned the right to be called a HUNTER, if its behind a fence i think its more of a meat harvest than a hunt.
I am not tring to change anyones mind, this is my own opionion, to each their own. Bobby
Old 12-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I myself work too hard during season in doing my homework in scouting stalking and/or pursueing deer or big game and I earned the right to be called a HUNTER, if its behind a fence i think its more of a meat harvest than a hunt.
Bobby, I cannot disagree with you. Regardless of the size of the enclosure, in the majority of cases you are hunting with a guide. Basically you are being led to an animal, or being told that a certain animal is OK to shoot.

That could never be compared to what you do in Montana.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:46 PM

High fence is a broad term. Acouple hundred acers is high fence and I'd have to say I would never hunt that way. However a couple thousand acers now that I might be willin to try.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:45 PM

As I have said before, a fenced deer is no more than a cow with a rack[:@] If you're going to do this for the sake of meat I could see your argument as long as you don't say that you are going "hunting". If it is for the meat it is just like buying a side of beef at the butcher shop. (no beef could ever compare to any cut of wild game though)
Old 12-28-2003, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

[:@][:@][:@]fair chase i think not we have fought long and hard of late, to keep hunting rights and the puukes who hunt on meat farms should be ashamed thats why they don't sell venison at the super markets will it be like fish farms soon i hope not there is no sport in it.. nuff said...[][][][][]

Quick Reply: Poll on hunting in high fences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.