Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 2003 Buck!

Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My 2003 Buck!

dat a bute
Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on buck #2!! Good looking buck, lets hear the story.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats man!!! we NEED the story and the details, the suspense is killin me. welcome to the board!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Hey, very sorry for the late response. You know, Work, Christmas time, wife's due in a few weeks, trying to finish up the hunting season, etc..etc.. Here's the details on the deer:

I took him Dec. 6th, just south of Seneca, Kansas in Nemaha County. Some buddies and I were walking out some timber that afternoon/early evening (we usually sit, but decided to walk since one of the guys saw 2 big bucks in the area earlier in the day), when I heard one of them yell "Big Buck, Big Buck"...then a few seconds went by...and..."Boom", I thought it was all over. Well, a few seconds later, out comes this buck on a dead run straight at me, and he didn't look like he was slowing down. I waited to see if he'd turn broadside, but he never did. I figured If I didn't take the shot now, I wouldn't get another one, as my buddies would have been in the line of sight. So...being careful not to hit the rack I aimed a bit low and..."Boom", dropped him just before he hit a barbed-wire fence. Well, that sure slowed him down, but somehow he still managed to get through/over the fence (not sure which it was, as my adrenaline rush was in overdrive). Anyway, he walked another 10 feet or so to the edge of a field, and finally turned broadside just standing there. Well...one more carefully placed shot and it was all over, he just dropped where he was standing. What a rush!!! I had to take a few moments to recall what had just happened before I walked up to see him. I knew he was pretty big, as his rack seemed to fill my scope when he was running right at me. When I got to him, I couldn't believe what I saw...A big 12 point. No ground shrinkage whatsoever. When my buddies finally got down to where I was, the stories started flying. It turns out, the first shot I heard was from Brett (my buddies 15 year old son). He said he shot, but hit a tree. By the time he got another round in the chamber, he didn't have a clear shot. That's when I saw him come running out.

As this is only the second buck I've ever shot, I was quite happy. The first buck I took was three years ago, with the same group of guys. Since then, It's been doe's only. I decided to go ahead and get a nice shoulder mount. It ended up being a 12 point buck, but would be scored a typical 8 w/deductions. It's very thick and heavy and has an inside spread of 19" with 11" brow tines, 12" G2's and 10" G3's. A buddy green scored it at 165, but with deductions & shrinkage, he said it will probably end up about a 150-155. Not the biggest by far, but still a trophy to me.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, only 150-155 inches. i would kill for a buck that big. the only problem i would have would be how to get up $400 dollars for a shoulder mount, and where the heck am i gonna put this mount. congats, and good shooting. in the eight years of hunting, i can vaguely remember like 5 shots. every other shot was all adrenaline and i dont even remember shouldering the gun. way to keep your cool and make 2 good shots.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 PM

Nice job KSouthpaw, real nice lookin 12. Kinda feel sorry about the young guy hitting the tree, but sincerely happy for you.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:28 PM

KSouthpaw, I hope you don't mind but I lightened the pic a little. Nice buck. Congratulations.

Old 12-28-2003, 04:07 PM

SIMPLEARKANSAN...

No, I don't mind. It actually looks alot better now. I had one of my buddies take the pic with my digital cam, but he didn't know how to work the thing.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:55 PM

congrats on the nice buck.Good story too
Old 12-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geeeees....thats a nice one for your second buck! Good Luck on the next one!

Quick Reply: My 2003 Buck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.