Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling

Old 12-07-2003, 06:29 PM

Default Rattling

I purchased a rattle bag this season. It sounds good to me, but since Im a novice with it, who the heck knows if it really sounds good.

Anyhow, I was wondering how long I should rattle:

1) before I pause before starting up again
2) how long I rattle in total

I used the bag a few times during the rut this season during slow periods and had no success. Any info you all could share would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling

Start out with a short duration & lower intensity rattle sequence about 30 sec, then wait 20 minutes pick up the intensity and duration to about 45-60 sec and wait 20 minutes...continue with the peak intensity and duration. I never rattle one particular location more than 2-3 hours and I chose to rattle between 10-3, most of the deer i have rattled out are in the noon time frame. I also rustle leaves, rub trees(in your case you'll need a heavy tree branch), pound on the ground at the end(simulate a fleeing deer) and call (I use grunts). In between the rattling session some times I grunt(tending style). Always watch and be prepared to shoot out the backdoor, bucks will often circle downwind. The use of doe or buck scent can help as well.

Most important thing to rattling is setting up in a good position to begin with where deer feel safe to come out. I like to rattle close to beding areas or pick areas in transition routes(in cover funnels, draws, rublines, ridges, meadows,etc) that bucks travel in search of love.