Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Possible record buck in MS.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Possible record buck in MS.

I don't know but look at his shirt cuff on the left side by his knucles??????
Old 12-14-2003, 04:24 AM

Nice buck.. doesnt look fake to me.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Banned

Ok..let's look at this pic from another perspective. I'm going on the premise that this picture is real. It's amazing what a person can do with the right camera angle. First off the deers head is tilted back which tends to make any rack's main beams and g1's and g2's look larger as well as inside spread. However we can make some inferences based on the size of other things in the pics when it comes to measurements. It's also interesting to note how the guys hands are positioned on the rack..I mean two fingers, overlapped and even the guys hands are cupped somewhat in order to make the rack look larger than it is. And of course there's the fact that the deer is way out in front of him. It's amazing how a wide angled lens can do this. Ok..let's take a look at the measurements...first off lets look at the G2 on the right beam. Now the average hand is four inches across,,making each of our fingers less than an inch wide. If you look at the positioning of the guys fingers on the G2 (right side) you're probably looking at about a 12' G2. For arguments sake I'll say the matching G2 is exactly the same, therefore no deductions. The same will be said for all other measurements. Those g1's aren't much better than 5 inches long, but I'll say 6. The g3's are smaller than the g2's but look just slightly smaller due to the camera angle but they're not any longer than probably 8 inches. Inside spread isn't terribly impressive either. A deer's ears are approximately 6 inches long. It's interesting to note that the deers ears in this pic are laid back, making it harder to estimate spread. One would think the ears were pinned back so you couldn't tell inside spread very easily but a deers head is about 6 inches wide (I just measured a mount on the wall to verify this). So it's pretty easy to tell even with the exaggerated camera angle that this deer probably doesn't have a spread that is very impressive. It looks to be around 18 or so but I'll go out on a limb and say 20..hell I'll even say 22 but I know it's not that. Ok as far as mass goes, not a bad buck,,but not exceptional. Again the mass is misleading by the angle but I've seen 6 inch bucks and this ain't one of them. 4 inches is avg for a deer so lets put this guy in the middle and say every circumference is 5 inches. Main beams are not impressive at all. they are not long as is evident by the simple fact that you can just se that they aren't. They not overly wide..they don't curve around much to meet each other at the tips..they don't sweep back..they're just your ordinary run of the mill beams....probably no bigger than 24 inches..And this is being generous. OK..time to do the math let's see no....8 circumferences at 5 inches = 40.......G1's = 12....g2's = 24.......g3's = 16... Main beams = 48.......inside Spread = 22...Gross score = 162...and that's with no deductions. Sorry folks but this sure as heck isn't any record 8 pointer. I'll wait for the naysayers to start telling me I don't know what I'm talking about before I post a pic that shows an 8 point that only goes 177. It puts this one to shame. Cause it really is 177.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:46 AM
nub

This 8 comes in around 164 if I remember correctly.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:14 AM

This pic finally hit the newspaper this weekend. The pic is real, the deer grossed 175 and netted 165 4/8.

For all you nay sayers, it's time to eat some crow!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Banned

Thanks for making an excellent post with that pic Nub to demonstrate what a 160 deer looks like. Looks like my figure isn;'t too far off. The racks are very similar.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Banned

Belle Isle, usually when someone says here's the pic..there's actually a pic that is here. Why not post the article. Oh and btw thanks for backing up my figures. And remember, racks have a habit of scoring less when someone who actually knows what they're doing scores one.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:28 AM

Okay guys, it seems at first there were some who said the original pic was a fake. Now those same ones are trying to diminish the quality of this great deer. Jealous? Here is a link to the local newspaper and article concerning this deer in question.

[link]http://www.clarionledger.com/news/0312/14/sout01.html[/link]

Another pic of the buck........

Though he scored less than rumored....it's still a fabulous buck!!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:58 AM

fake..

NEXT!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Groundhunter, that's the way things go. Racks are like fish. They get smaller once you have them in the boat and have a good look at them. So the rack's size was exagerrated by a mere 15%. The rack, when measured by someone that knows what they're doing will prob lop another 10 points of the score. It's a great deer, don't get me wrong. But people who aren't used to seeing bucks 150 and up tend to think they're much larger than they are. It's not a deliberate attempt at deception. It's just human nature. I mean it's a nice deer..but it's just an above average 8 pointer. Nothing World class at all. And once again I love how the guy only has 2 little fingers holding the rack in the second pic. Say what you want about anyone holding a rack.......The fingers never lie. Oh and one more thing...the rack only nets 156 6/8 inches (according to the news article). I mean..REALITY CHECK TIME FOLKS...this buck was being touted as the new World Record 8 pointer...and now that the facts are out, it not only doesn't even come close to making B&C, it's not even one of the top five 8 pointers in Magnolia county. I'm not even going to guess it's ranking statewide. If you look at the actual figures and what it had when this thread first broke, the deer grew close to 3 feet of antler by the time it hit the net.

Quick Reply: Possible record buck in MS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.