Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy Montana whitetail

Old 12-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trophy Montana whitetail

Nice bucks!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:47 AM

super nice buck, montana is a great state
Old 12-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Thanks, Trophyhuntr. We do love Montana. Some great years hunting, some not. Always have a good time. Met many new friends there. Not just other hunters but many locals over the years.

If you're interested in a few details... Chuck,(took the record whitetail), was using a Weatherby 30-378 w/Leopold scope. Windy day, just had glimpse of this whitey heavy in rut with doe for a few seconds in and out of cover. I'm sure this deer was purely nocturnal in it's activity,(during hunt season), as it was an old buck,(very likely at his peak size). Even in heavy rut, Chuck had very little window of opportunity to get a shot off. Some may not believe the distance but we have no reason to lie. We shot the distance the next day with rangefinder and it was app. 500 yds. Shot around 1 ft. high, hit a few inches above brisket in heart. My hat's off to my buddie cause it was windy, long shot, only seconds to squeeze off the shot. I guess that's why trophy deer are such a challenge to take and such an accomplishment when actually taken. Lord knows he put in his time over the years. I'm extremely happy that his dream of making the record book came true.
I use a Browning 7MM mag /wKahles scope. Had the opportunity to shoot distance with rangefinder before my shot. 305 yds. with little wind. Put scope squarely on shoulder,(rifle sighted to be right on at 250), Mulie was not going anywhere before shot. Intense rutting with harem of 7 or 8 does along with another smaller buck. Smaller buck was not too bad either. We both use bi-pods. Thanks for replies. Nice bunch of folks on this site.
Good huntn.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are both some huge bucks! Good going!