Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much meat

Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Default RE: How much meat

Buscuit that sound s about right, the lil spike i ended up shooting this year weighed out @100 lbs.but there was a couple of bg hole in it, one in neck and about 5-6" on one side of rib cage. BAD,BAD shot on mybehalf, but anyhow sounds about close, all depends on the butcher and what they feel better on what goes where.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:38 AM
jjt

Just one thing, you can’t make jerky with ground meat as Skeeter mentioned unless he had granulated jerky in mind which I have never seen. For jerky you require long thin strips of meat. The best cut for jerky is flank steak. Enjoy your deer meat.

trailer you can make very good jerky out of ground meat

the link below is a kit for doing it
it can be made in a dehydrator, smoker, or the kitchen oven
i have tried all 3

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/cgi/cp-app.cgi?usr=50X3939402&rnd=7124680&rrc=N&cip=198.5 .187.24&ad=www.google.com&pg=prod&ref=44&cat=6&cat str=HOME:6

I am not trying to advertise i just ordered this product so i new where to find it.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My apology to all. You learn something new every day.I have never heard of making jerky from ground meat. The only way I ever done it is with thin strips of meat , seasoned and by using the dehydrator as mentioned. I guess I’ll have to check it out.˝
Old 12-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

yain't never had those little disc's of jerkey 4 for a dollar?? i'm think'n this stuff is ground up ???[:-][:-][:-][&o][:-][&o]
Old 12-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brush buster,never did. All I have ever seen is long thin strips of meat as mentioned.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always made my ground jerky by placing the meat between wax paper and rolling out with a rolling pin to 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Just cut with a knife and off to the device you use for making jerky. Works real well and minimal investment required to try the ground style vs. whole muscle meat. Off course the meat must be merinaded prior to this process and for ground jerky IMO it needs at least 24 hr in the fridge covered.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do all my own butchering and can usually get a hair over 50% of the field dressed weight in boned out, edible meat. After ending up with lots of steaks the first few years, I use only the best cuts for steaks , a few roasts and maybe some cubed meat for stews. Everything else is ground into burger--that's about 80% of the meat on my deer. Ground meat is extreemely versatile and can be eaten as something different every day. Steak can become boring after a while--that's why I limit it.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:35 AM

skeeter 7mm, the wax paper rolling the meat out idea is a great idea ,as my jerky shooter takes forever loading it is a drag. you really dont need to marinate it at all. i use insta cure and mix in uncle abes seasoning ,it turns out awesome!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:05 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

there is a nice chart on the main Deerhunting.com page. look to the left and it says something about weight. it's fairly accurate. The meat you got sounds about right. I got a button a week ago which weighed 7 lbs field dressed. I weighed it by picking it up while standing on a scale. According to the scale it was about 98 lbs live weight and 40 lbs of meat wich is about what I got out of it. I processed it myself.

David
Old 12-07-2003, 10:17 AM

hey dpv , congrats. on the button and the weight yeah that sounds about right lol

Quick Reply: How much meat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.