Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How will I ever get this buck??

Old 12-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default How will I ever get this buck??

uuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Well there's 3 days left in gun season here in NY. After completely burning out my stands on the bulk of the property I hunt, I decided to go for a little stoll the other day. I came across some uncharted (unhunted) territory, except there are a couple of problems.
There is a big swail lot that's probably 300 x 300 yards. I walked the edges of it and found about a zillion beds and 4 or 5 runs that look like tractor trailors come through there on a routine basis. This place is mashed with sign. Now bare with me and try to get a visual of this lot. I'll try to describe the what is on the edges of the lot.
North end: at the end of the swail there is a giant cliff that drops off to a creek. Very steep and few scattered tracks leading to the swail.

South end: Road and posted land on the other side of the road

East end: narrow hedgrow runs up the length of it. Other side of the hedgerow is a huge winter plowed wide open field of nothing but frozen mud thanks to the lovely farmer that royally screwed my hunting up this year. But that's a whole different story. Anyway, next to no sets of tracks. They just don't want to be out there.

West end: hardwoods and thickets and food plots beyond that. I walked that edge and that's where they come. trails like you wouldn't believe. Problem is that land is posted with no possibility of hunting it.

I have been sitting on the north edge of the swail, and watching a nice buck bedding down almost everytime I've been there. I've also seen a group of 4 does laying down.

The problems are, they are 200 yards out and in the middle of the field. Also, they are already in there and bedded (as far as I know) before daylight and I sit there and watch them not move til after dark. I can't set up on their trails leading into this and catch them on their way in because of the posted land. frustrating as all heck, knowing they are right in front of my face but I'm kinda restricted. I don't dare try and sit in the swail any further cause I'll spook them to the next county. Any ideas?

deer drive.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 12-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How will I ever get this buck??

I am going to ask a dumb question, why can't you set up in the swail?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

well I guess i'm just concerned that walking in there may spook whatever is laying in there giving me no chance of getting them when they get up and travel.
Also, it's kinda tall if I get down in the middle of it I can't see crap. But where I'm sitting on the edge of it is elevated so I can see down the whole thing and get a shot through some openings in it.
I'm usually good at setting up on giving me a good chance, but this thing has me perplexed.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

need a treestand along that west edge, but that's out of the question too. accckkkkkkkk.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

A deer drive might work if the wind is right, the drivers will want the wind at their back and the standers with it in their face, the only 2 directions for the drives would be east to west or west to east. I am not sure how many folks you have in your group, but if you were doing a west to east drive I would leave at least one or two folks on the west side for any deer that slip back through the drivers, from what you have described they are going to want to go to the west end for the hardwoods.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM

I don't want to sound like a smart a$$ but..........

You are gun hunting - if you can see him bedded there just shoot him.

If not put a stalk on him - then shoot him

Good Luck
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well....... 200yards with a shotgun slug isn't in my arsenal. I've thought about stalking him, the problem is once I start traveling into the swail, my field of vision becomes next to nothing. The only way I'm even seeing him is because of the ridge I'm on and the elevation difference. Once i get 20 yards into it, I lose sight. Thanks for the advice though I appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suppose that's why he's in there and feeling comfy about it.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man sounds like they are in a tough spot, you need to start bow hunting, that way you can deal with him before gun season and the deer are moving during shooting hours!

Have you ever gone into the swail? I have seen some where some of the brush is really tall, but there are areas where it is pretty short. If you only have 3 days left what do you have to lose by trying a stalk? Just slide in from the downwind side of where he is bedded and go for it.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to try to put my best stalk on. Get in there early (like after I type this) and go very slow. Hopefully I can get close enough and open enough for a shot. I just wonder what's laying between me and him that may get up and spook him out too. But like you said what is there to lose. I know one thing. I'm going to find a place around there for bowseason next year. Well I'm gonna go get after him cause he's not coming to me. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: How will I ever get this buck??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.