Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why won't they wear orange???

Old 12-04-2003, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why won't they wear orange???

The hunters on the next property refuse to wear blaze orange [>:] even though it is the law.

I am not trying to play game warden, I am concerned that I could accidently shoot one of these clowns. Not that I would mistake them for a deer but that they could be in the line of fire and I would not know it.

There are four to six of them and, because they enter the property from another direction, I have no way of knowing when they are hunting. They have at least one young hunter and are teaching him to be irresponsible and unsafe.

I resent having to spend my precious hunting time fretting about where they might be before I shoot. What a pain.

There, vent is over...for now.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why won't they wear orange???

If I was in your shoes and had already talked to them and they still are not wearing blaze orange I would be calling a GW to deal with them.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Me too , they are creaing a dangerous situation for both themselves and you . Call the GW .
Old 12-04-2003, 05:02 AM

Why do people skydive, why do people do any kind of stupid stunts? Maybe they just have a death wish? Taz gave good advice, why have your life ruined because of there stupidity?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:11 AM

why ruin your hunt worrying about idiots ...call the GW
Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

you mention "on the next property". So I assume that you are talking about private property? In some states with a blaze orange law, it does not apply to private property. Are you sure that is not the case here?

Also, if it is private property, and they are not on the property you are hunting, why would you mistake them for a deer and consider shooting them. Do you also have permission to shoot onto the neighbors property?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 AM

I agree with slugman,call the GW.They are'nt worth the aggravation of a confrontation.

Joe
Old 12-04-2003, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, call the possum police.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:11 AM

I ran into 3 guys in one day with no orange on hunting state land this year. Let me tell you that hunting state land is scarey enough around here sometimes but with no orange on??......screw that!!!

one guy was burying himself in pine branches in full camo with face shield........YIKES.

I worry about guys like that because if they don't even care about their own safety.......they don't give a rats ass about mine.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting thread and it strikes a cord with me because of something that happened the other day. But, before I get to that, I would definitely call the game warden as well. Even though they are on their own property a bullet does not know that and you are definitely looking at it from the right standpoint if you are concerned about the situation.

Now, on Tuesday I decided to hunt one of the local gamelands. I was situated on a small fencerow about halfway between a private property boundary and a local game preserve. The property line was about 200-250 yards in one direction and the game preserve was about 400 yards in the other. I was set up in one of the pop-up hunting blinds commonly used today. I had a bright orange piece of cloth wrapped around the tree behind and above the blind. I also had a blaze orange cap hanging out the front window (in addition to having a blaze orange cap and vest on my person).

When the wind and snow picked up I pulled in the cap and closed the one window until it abated. Upon opening the window I noticed a hunter approaching me from the private property direction along the fencerow I was sitting in. I had noticed him when he first walked in in the morning and had placed the cap out in front of the blind because of him. His exact words as he approached the blind were...

" I don't mean to be rude but you almost got yourself shot."

Apparently, a doe had come out of the treeline in front of me and he had proceeded to shoot at it without seeing any of my blaze orange until after he had shot. He did not push the issue but suggested that I not be inside the blind or that I put more orange outside of the blind as the area we hunt does see quite a bit of shooting.

I guess my question would be, whose responsibility would it be if someone was shot in my situation. The guy in the blind for being in the blind or the guy doing the shooting for not fully identifying what was behind the target?

Quick Reply: Why won't they wear orange???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.