Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why won't they wear orange???

Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why won't they wear orange???

why would you mistake them for a deer and consider shooting them.
I beleive what was said was this

Not that I would mistake them for a deer but that they could be in the line of fire and I would not know it.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:05 PM

well the same sort of thing happend to me opening wkend. i was sittin on a bluff over looking public ground with the fence about 20 yards behind me and on the other side was private, well the guy that owns it just drives around in his truck and then gets out crosses the fence and looks over the edge but this yr he wasnt wearing any orange, and you know what he had on, carhartt bibs and a carhartt jacket, i dont know why you wouldnt wear orange,but especially dont wear all brown.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:06 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I would never do something like this and would never suggest that anyone do it.......but if they have a close call or think they did, they might have a change of heart. I've been in the woods as a teen when someone shot and the sound of that round cutting the air is something you don't forget. Last year I was stalking thru the swamp on some public land and I heard a rifle fired very close to me. I never saw who fired it but you couldn't have hammered a nail up my but for about 15 minutes.

David
Old 12-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that I would mistake them for a deer but that they could be in the line of fire and I would not know it.
Bottom line is that they are the ones taking the risk. Hunt hard, know what you are shooting at, and be aware of what is behind your target. You could not be expected to do more.

FYI: I wear a solid blaze orange vest and cap whenever I hunt, whether or not the state requires it. It doesn't spook game!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA Bowhunter, I am pretty sure the responsibility would rest with the person who fired the shot but I don't think that would be much condolence to you if you were the one to receive the bullet.
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I will be pretty prepared the next time I use it..probably tomorrow with all the snow.

In all honesty Steve, I would take some video of the folks in question and then take it to the local Game Warden Office. If that does not get them off of their butts then I don't know what will. I would feel that I had done my part even if the game wardens didn't follow up on it.