Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why won't they wear orange???

Old 12-04-2003, 08:55 AM

Default RE: Why won't they wear orange???

I always look for orange behind my line of fire before I shoot.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Maryland, they are obeying the law, as long as they're hunting on their own private property. It's still irresponsible not to put safety first, particularly when hunting within shooting range of other hunters. But I don't think the GW will be able to offer much assistance in the matter. I still recommend talking it over with him/her anyway.

I'm sure there are many reasons why some hunters choose not to wear blaze orange, but I would imagine vanity is among the most common. Now if we can just get the big fashion designers to come up with some hip blaze orange hunting duds.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess my question would be, whose responsibility would it be if someone was shot in my situation. The guy in the blind for being in the blind or the guy doing the shooting for not fully identifying what was behind the target?
with all do respect PA. A ground blind is meant to blend into the enviroment. If you're in a ground blind so the deer can't recognize the background, I don't see how another hunter would be able to. Am I correct in assuming you had no orange out at the time the hunter shot? If not it would be tough to determine the background of something meant to be totally concealed. JMO.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had a bright orange piece of cloth wrapped around the tree behind and above the blind. I also had a blaze orange cap hanging out the front window (in addition to having a blaze orange cap and vest on my person).
NY,

As I mentioned above, I did have orange posted outside the blind in two locations. It was entirely visible when he shot at the doe. The only time I removed part of it was when the snow picked up and I had to close the window that I had the cap hanging on.

I do intend to avoid this situation from occurring in the future by placing blaze orange vests on the outside roof of the blind. That should prevent the situation from occurring again.

Though I do agree about the purpose of the blind allowing hunters to blend into the environment I primarily use it on windy, rainy or snowy days for protection from the elements.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

oh ok, I misunderstood the post. I thought you took the orange down at the time he was shooting. I use ground blinds as well (mostly natural cover). I get a bit concerned that sometimes I've made too good of a blind. I don't know what the answer is myself, other than being in a tree. I feel a little discomfort when I'm on the same level as shots!! I guess orange or not hunting on the ground increses the chances for an accident unfortunately.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Spike

Make sure of your target and what's behind it before you shoot and you won't have to worry about it.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clarification: It is NOT their property, nor are they tenants. They are friends of the landowner just as I am friends with the landowner who owns the land that I hunt on. By law they MUST wear blaze orange.

I have not called the GW because my experience has been that if you are not the land owner they will not respond unless the violation is serious. The NR Police are run ragged with trespassing complaints during gun season in Maryland. Getting one to respond to a blaze orange violation on private property would be difficult.

Additionally, our duck and goose season is in now and waterfowl violations seem to take priority over deer violations.

There is a family of five who hunt on the farm that I hunt on and they have indicated that they are not bothered by the situation. I know they would not appreciate having their hunt stopped by the presence of the NR Police.

Another week and a half of this season plus two weeks of late ML season. We'll just have to see how peeved I get with the situation.

PA Bowhunter, I am pretty sure the responsibility would rest with the person who fired the shot but I don't think that would be much condolence to you if you were the one to receive the bullet.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 PM

If i were in your shoes....GW would be called. And i would simply tell them, there are people who refuse to wear orange. I dont want to shoot them. Tell us how it works out.

Tim

P.S. i would shoot over them & say opps thought you were a deer! My bad!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

To the original poster's question: CALL THE GW!!! I have seen guys up here trying to twist our regs(You see here we can wear(during rifle) Sloid Orange, Red, Yellow or White (any combo of this) but your hat must be yellow, orange or red. Now I wear white most of the time and always a orange or red hat(when walking in or out in the low light I wear a blaze orange hat and coat just in case) During rifle here white is not the best colour as most of the ground cover is white on the account of snow, while I wear it if I walk in areas that lots of guys are I always wear the blaze jacket but most times I hunt off the beaten path now and encounter no problems what so ever. Over the years I have ran across guys sitting in the woods, treestand, even walking wearing a white hat...against the rules and flat out stupid. In all occasions I mentioned you should be wearing a coloured hats and in a few occasions I mentioned to GW's when stopped. I prefer a safe experience and these same guys that do this in my mind may make lapse in judgement when I am on the opposite end of the barrel[&o]. Using the law may help these individuals see the light and really is the only means you have available, the it won't happen to me attitude is BS and it can and does every year(even with orange on). Some go wonky when hunting and swear they saw a deer which turned out to be there brother, so practicing safe hunting includes upholding the law on your part and helping those around you, even if it means ratting them out.(which I don't believe is the case but it is often said I saw this group doing this illegal and it bothered me...but yet they never called the GW who are payed to handle and uphold the law. Being the little resources and manpower they have how can they possibly see everything, we have the responsibility to help them do their job and this includes giving them tips to unsafe and illegal practices.

PA, I don't see how you could be at fault for your recent incident. Firearm Safety states "Know your target and beyond" before you pull the trigger. This would be like saying I shot at the deer but never saw the house or truck behind the deer...it don't float. Sure a camo blind maybe hard to pick out but you went to the extent of flagging your position and any hunter in the woods should be looking for orange and knowing it isn't something you should shoot at. Refer to my above comments: "some go wonky when out hunting" plain n' simple he wasn't looking beyond his target or caring what was around him: "he saw doe, he shot at doe, he missed doe and on he goes...opps I never saw that" Trying to find a way to make himself feel better about making a mistake and hopefully he learned from it! I wouldn't worry about it and you practiced defensive hunting practices to eliminate this from happening, much the same as me wearing orange when I don't have to. It is just in case and shouldn't be required but we are thinking about ourselves and other hunters trying to make it a memorable not a forgetable experience.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM

but there lies the problem ....ur both friends with the landowner. So if you drop the dime on these guys you might not be able to hunt there again. Buy some cheaps blaze hats for them ....tell em merry xmas

Quick Reply: Why won't they wear orange???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.