Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New York Deer Hunting

Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 AM

Default New York Deer Hunting

I' ve hunted the same 500 +/- acres in Mayville, NY (Lake Chataqua area, near the Erie PA border) for over 20 years.

This year was an unusually poor weather year, we had rain for two days, and two days of high HIGH winds. But we also had two days of snow-covered ground, making spotting deer, and tracking much easier.

Last year I thought I saw much less sign, but I figured it was only me. This year I' m sure of it. Last Saturday, I walked all over the area I' ve hunted for all these years, and I only found a dozen sets of tracks. Granted, it was windy, but the snow had been on the ground since Friday afternoon/evening.

Last winter was especially harsh for deer - lots of snow, or so my hunting friends tell me. Also, the coyote population is soaring in the area.

My brother, who hunts there for two weeks, only has one deer so far - he usually tags out. Nobody else in camp had taken even one deer after two weeks. I went home meatless for the second year in a row. (I could have taken a fawn, but the meat isn' t really all that important).

Has anyone else noticed a much lower than normal deer count, especially in the Chataqua county area ? If so, do you think it was last winter, coyotes, combination, or something I' ve overlooked ?

Patrick
Old 12-02-2003, 08:00 AM

Default RE: New York Deer Hunting

I have heard nothing but bad reports from everyone here in NY including myself.

I have hunted Western NY for 17 years and this is SLOW. I have been skunked on 24 out of 32 days in the woods archery and gun.........not even SEEN a deer. On the days I did see deer a few were running from turkey hunters and so on. My chances have been almost nill.

I killed a 13 pt on Thanksgiving making it a great year...........well, truthfully it was a great day in a lousy year.

I have friends from PA that come up to NY in a group of 25 each year to hunt for a week of gun. This year they went home with 1 spike buck for the entire group.

I couldn' t wait for the snow and found the same as you.........VERY few tracks. Has me worried a little bit that the DEC may be blowing some smoke up our cans about how many deer are really in the herd because last winter was by no means brutal and opening day of gun last year was a ice storm where I live so the deer take had to be way down which should have meant higher numbers this year that I just am not seeing.

Hope it' s just coincidence.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:36 AM

I live in St. Lawrence County, right on the Canadian border (6C). It is ironic, because I have seen fewer deer this year, but this has been my best hunting year yet. I filled my bow, rifle, and doe permit tags and two crop damage permit tags. I haven't seen harvest numbers yet but my impression is that the hunting up here is going well. The DEC did give out far fewer doe permits up here this year. I still have a muzzleloader tag I can fill next week.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:35 PM

I hunted Catskill NY on the first weekend of Deer season and saw no fewer then 12-15 deer total. I had 2 does in my crosshairs but no doe permit so I could't shoot.

Between the 4 of hunting we probably saw 25+ deer but they were mostly (90%+) and very few bucks over 1 1/2 years.

I was reading an article on ESPN outdoors saying how the area between NY and Mass has become a great area for deer between a lack of hunting and a huge increse in State lands bought from mines and lumber companies.

Maybe the west and north have seen too much pressure for too long?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well....... first bowseason I've ever been skunked!! The deer population is without a doubt diminished. I think the winter really hurt. Yes the yotes continue to grow. I also think the 17 zillion tags they handed out last year was ridiculous. You could theoretically shoot 9 deer last season? Correct me if I'm wrong. Multiply that by the number of hunters and that's a hell of a lot of deer. Typical NY build up the herd then take it down to nothing. Least amount of deer I've seen during bow and definitely during gun. I hunt 7f (finger lakes)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:55 AM

i have 300 acres in hancock, ny. out of my camp and three other camps surrounding us, only 1 guy took home a doe. this year has been incredibly bad. between last years harsh winter and the coyote population increasing, its not gonna get better, at least for this year. opening day there wasnt many shots fired. i gave up for ny this year and am going to try pa for the last two weekends.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

My Dad and brother hunt Stamford, NY every year and came home skunked after enduring 3 rain soaked/fogged out/windy days. A total of 5 guys got absolutely skunked and discouraged.

I hunted Orange Cty near Pine Bush and saw 8 does and a monster buck too far to shoot. We tagged a spike out of 3 guys.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:30 AM

I WOULD AGREE WITH MOST OF YOU ABOUT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON.[:@] HOWEVER, THE LAST WEEK OR SO, WITH SNOW, AND LESS HUNTING PRESSURE, I'VE HAVE SEEN A LOT MORE DEER. I'M IN 9K.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with that kingpin. Seems like the last 2 or 3 days they start to show themselves again. Most everyone has put up their guns for the year. I saw a buck last night. The bad thing was he laid there in the swail about 200 yards from me with his head sticking up tantalizing me. Never moved. I spotted him around2:30 yesterday and wathced him until dark.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen plenty of deer this year. The first day of gun season stunk, I killed two this week. Everyone I know has killed at least two. My one buddy took two really nice 9 pts one bow one gun, they look like twins.

I sounds like it's time to start doing some yote hunting in some area's.

Quick Reply: New York Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.