Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb female question......

Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 PM

Default RE: Dumb female question......

I think alot of you just like to see yourselves talk. read the question she doesn't say any where that the deer is running, nor does it say she hunts or intends on shooting a deer. she didnt ask for a lesson on proper hunting and if she should take the shot or not. Man you all blow alot of smoke in the air...
Simple Answer, NO dont lead the deer.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

if you are referring to "lead" as in compensating for bullet drop, the answer is no. You shouldn't have to compensate for drop on any center fire rifle at 100 yards.

If you are referring to lead as in "leading a moving target" then I would have to say that unless you are willing to trail a gut-shot deer for hundreds of yards and probably lose it, then dont shoot and wait for another deer to present a better shot for you.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:21 AM

tlchickson,

Never and I repeat never say "DUMB" female question! Any questions is a good one and welcome to the board. Feel free to visit and interject whenever you desire. If you don't ask a question, how will you ever learn?

Tomster
Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the help.

You all have saved me in many a debate with my dad.

And it was a 357 my mistake.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:41 AM

Okay,

the gun is a 300 ultra mag. the velosity is 3400 ft per sec.

the question is do you have to lead a deer in an open area at a 100 yards away.

I was telling them that I would not shoot because my experience is almost none.

If you have any more questions just post them.

tlc
Old 12-05-2003, 09:48 AM

I agree with those that talked about the swing and follow through. It's very important.

On another note, I personally think a 300 is to big for deer. JMO
Old 12-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckstopshere

txhunter If you move your barrel so that it follows the speed of the deer (stays on the same spot on the deer as the deer moves) and continue to do so after the shot, will you eliminate the need to "lead"?
"In that case you would either have to " follow through" your swing or lead the buck. "

Reread my post, you will find the above quote in the first paragraph. I agree that learning a "follow through" shooting technique is much easier for most people.

TLCHICHSON: You still don't answer the question for sure of is the deer is moving and approximately how fast. We are all making the assumption that the deer is indeed moving. We are 99% sure you are talking about a moving deer, but you need to make that clear.

Also, the "follow through" technique that many have suggested will make any mathmatical calculations unnecessary, because you will automatically adjust the follow through for any speed the deer is moving.

However, for interesting conversations, a bullet traveling 3400 ft/sec will take 0.0882 seconds to travel 100 yards