Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb female question......

Old 12-01-2003, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Dumb female question......

tlc,
I surprised no one has asked for a clarification, I cannot find any info about a 355Magnum.

I can guess; however, assuming is not a good idea. It does make a difference. How much if any you lead would depend on whether we are talking pistol velocities (1300fps) or beefed up magnum velocity (3000fps).

Please check again, what is the cartridge the firearm is chambered for: 357mag? 35 Whelen? 350 Magnum? It the difference between the tortise and the hare.

EKM
Old 12-01-2003, 04:30 PM

seeing that we are the EXPERTS I would go with the rest,no shot
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

With your inexperience with hunting, it is a no brainer that you personally should not take this shot. The only time to shoot at a running deer is after you have already wounded it and are taking a follow up shot. In that case you would either have to " follow through" your swing or lead the buck.

If you want to really do some figuring and impress your Dad and uncle, figure out this problem: Find out the muzzle velocity of the gun in question. Now figure out how long it takes for it to go 100 yards. Then figure out how far a deer would travel going, say 20 mph, in that length of time. Better get your calculator out!

Let' s assume a muzzle velocity of 2500 ft per second. 100 yards is 300 feet, so it will take the bullet 300ft divided by 2500 ft/sec = .12 sec!

Now if the buck is traveling 20mph = (5280ft/mile X 20 miles/hr) divided by 3600 (number of seconds in an hour) = 29.33 ft per second. A deer traveling 10mph would travel 1/2 this distance and a deer traveling 30 mph would travel 1-1/2 times this distance.

29.33 ft/sec X .12 sec= 3.52 feet.

SOOOO, from the time you pull the trigger until the bullet reaches the deer the deer will travel 3-1/2 feet!!!

This should answer your question. Of course, you have to plug your numbers in the equation: speed of the bullet, speed of the deer.

And you thought all those math courses were a waste of time!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58
This should answer your question. Of course, you have to plug your numbers in the equation: speed of the bullet, speed of the deer.
And don' t forget your Radar Gun when you go hunting.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:37 AM

In the original post, I see no request for advise as whether to take or not take the shot.
The request is whether to lead or not lead and (implicitly) if so then how much.
As has been demonstrated, the velocity of the particular round is quite relevent.

tlc, do you have a read on that cartridge name yet?

EKM
Old 12-02-2003, 05:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The best way to learn how to swing/follow through on a moving target is wingshooting, shooting clays will help also, I should have said that a shot on a running deer should not be taken by someone who has not practiced a lot on moving targets, even though I consider myself a pretty good wing shooter, I still would not take a shot on a running deer unless he was at 40 yards or less and it was a wide open area to shoot in.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:59 AM
Spike

If you're confident in your abilities to make a killing shot on a running animal at that range then shoot. It can be done....
Old 12-04-2003, 12:15 PM

I'd pratice awhile before taking a leading shot. Too many things can go wrong
Old 12-04-2003, 07:55 PM

txhunter If you move your barrel so that it follows the speed of the deer (stays on the same spot on the deer as the deer moves) and continue to do so after the shot, will you eliminate the need to "lead"?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board first. More information is needed to try and make an answer. You didn't even say if the deer was moving.

Quick Reply: Dumb female question......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.