Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chronic Wasting Disease

Old 12-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Chronic Wasting Disease

see alot of misinformation in these posts. Number one it is still not known if the prion is the cause or a symptom. Two as for people not hunting in cwd zones most I have spoken with quit not because of cwd but because they only eat what they harvest. and after taking a doe they would be done. Without the chance for even taking a buck earn a buck knock down hunter numbers. Three most of the cwd zones did not have extremely large kills actualy below average for ten year kill. Stay away from WI dnr site they only give you the info on cwd that supports their claims and agenda. For unbiased info type caids ( citizens against irrational deer slaughter) into your search. Also cwd has been found in Illinois it also did not slowly spread east it moved from wyoming to WI IL in big jump no states in between. But that is probably do to the extensive testing done in these areas, over 1000 deer tested in small area to find initial case. SO dont assume it is not in any area until large number of tests are done in a small area. I dont worry about cwd other than what WI dnr policys are going to ruin.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:16 PM

I'm with rcw280. Not every deer is tested so we are assuming by the number game.
I'm going to continue to eat what I harvest. I believe it is much tastier, cleaner, safer than anything that comes from the grocery store.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Definately concerned. I posted some pics of sick deer I saw behind my house. State biologist didn't think it was disease but said he wouldn't mind doing a post mortom on that deer. I have set out a couple mornings hoping to take her with the crossbow but havn't seen her again. I havn't check the game cam i a while so I may have some more pictures out there. I wear some long black industrial rubber gloves I found at a local store. I just don't like my hands filled with guts.

David
Old 12-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just an update on testing. Last year in Columbia county WI over 1000 deer were tested with no positives. This 400 tested and at least one postive. IN Rock county no positives last year but one this year. So until extenseve testing is performed don't believe it can' be in your area.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Past CWD, I think wearing protective gloves is a good thing to protect you from whatever.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

despite all the rhetoric does any one know how deer contract CWD ? it seems cows got it from eating ground up beef parts ?? my poor little girl doesn't want to eat hamburgers now and there is still no proof humans can get it with out eating the nervous system products?? right ?? correct me if i'm mistaken please,, ok.. thanks by the way "HUNT ON"