Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If its legal, is it acceptable?

Old 11-29-2003, 01:11 PM

Default If its legal, is it acceptable?

I know of a situation of a hunt club in NJ that does not have that much land to hunt, but it is pretty productive each year. This club has a hunter who will shoot 30+ deer in a year. He shoots everything he sees, whether a good shot or not, on the run, in the ass, through brush, etc.

When questioned, he says " what I am doing is legal, I am allowed to kill as many deer as I want" . Most in the club want to avoid conflict and because it is legal, they don' t say anything. However, most if not all the members don' t like this guy.

Some people would say that taking this many deer hurt the club' s overall situation by reducing the herd on the property thus limiting the paying member' opportunity for the current year, and the year/years to follow.

Other people say that it is legal, so let him do what he wants.

What do you think? Would you pressure the guy to act for the good of the club and limit his take, or would you let him do his thing?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: If its legal, is it acceptable?

Hey who am I to say his style of hunting is wrong. LOL. It' s up to the club I suppose, but I can' t say he' s wrong for doing it the way he does it (can I?). That would make me narrow minded and put me on my " high horse" right? After some of the last posts, I will now adopt the to each his own attitude as long as it' s within the law. So heck shoot em up anyway you can. Have a ball!! Good luck to all and be safe. Wear a lil extra orange these days I suppose.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:24 PM

NY- you mean you no longer have an opinion because some people debated your points on the other thread? Are you going P.C. (politically correct) on us?

What you imply in your post, is that you don' t approve of this guy' s approach, right?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think that if you don' t like this guy, you should make a complaint to the club administration. If others want to do the same, why not start a petition? Ask the club to establish bag limits. You need to protect the little land you have to use. His actions may be legal, but members of a club need to think as a whole.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes gold hunter you' ve caught me. No I am not overly enthused about the fine hunting gentleman. I agree with ausie six. Have a club vote and protect what you have. Don' t let 1 upstanding fine hunter spoil it for everyone.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do these hunting clubs work? I always thought it was just a bunch of guys chipping in on land leases or purchases. If thats the case then just don' t let him in on it next year.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:57 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

That' s the funny thing about Ethics. It' s an individual quality. I have to wonder why the guy would want to shoot every darn thing that moves, but I have seen that attitude before. I even have been guilty of thinking that way when I was beginnin to hunt years ago. Fortunately I didn' t see anything for a while and by the time I did I had cut my teeth on many many unsuccessful hunts. I had forged my desire to do the right thing by putting in the hours. I didn' t want them to be wasted. No one taught me to hunt. I learned on my own. At one time I joined a hunt club. I used the land to bow hunt because I didn' t like the way some of the other guys would act about killing a deer. I suspect that some doe were taken out of season but I never saw it . AS I said on the other thread I took a deer today by setting up on the edge of a drive area. I' ll take a week or two off from hunting to spend more time here at home, and then I' ll go back to my prefered area' s out in the woods alone. The only regret I have about my hunt today is that I didn' t drop the animal on the first shot. That experience will change my methods and influence my decision to shoot next time.
The short answer is no. just because it' s legal doesn' t make it right. I can' t see killing that many deer unless you are a farmer and they are damaging your crops.

David
Old 11-29-2003, 04:27 PM

I have to agree with dpv,
The short answer is no. just because it' s legal doesn' t make it right. I can' t see killing that many deer unless you are a farmer and they are damaging your crops.

David
[/quote]

There are a couple of other statements in his original post that also hold too,but thats not the ? at hand. be safe and have fun, just the same, enjoy
Old 11-29-2003, 04:38 PM

well its legal, but i dont think it should be accepted. he could ruin everyone elses hunt. i would say rally everyone that isnt for it and start a petition like said. im sure your not the only one that doesnt like having" rambo" in the woods with you.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:20 PM

hold a club meeting and set some rules on # of deer taken in a season 4 , 5 , 10 or what ever the majority agrees on and any one breaking that rule ; kick his arse out of the club.

Quick Reply: If its legal, is it acceptable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.