Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Check out the buck I killed on Thanksgiving morning

Old 11-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Default RE: Check out the buck I killed on Thanksgiving morning

heck of a buck there, congrats.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:30 PM

Thanks guys. I am from Western NY near Buffalo.

This deer is causing quite a stir around where I shot it............buck of a lifetime is an understatement I guess.

It hasn' t really sunk in yet I think........I am still a little shocked it actually happened to me.

I took the head to the taxidermist on Friday morning and I won' t have it back until summer.

Did I screw up by not having it scored first??

I was so worried about the cape that I didn' t even think of it. On the bright side the taxidermist said I did a perfect job caping it and better then any local processor ever sends him.

He had some mounts in his gargage that were beyond beautiful. He has been doing it for 34 years and was highly recommended by my wife' s cousin who is on staff for Knight and Hale.

Can' t wait to get him back.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask your Taxidermist to score it for you or stop by and borrow the rack. He won' t need it for most of the work he' ll be doing so you should be able to get it scored whenever. I think to be official it has to dry for a certain length of time.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:50 PM

Thanks power.

I just got an email from the NY big buck club and they saaid it has to dry for 60 days before it can be scored.

What parts of the deer actually go into the mount?? Do they use the skull or just a hunk of it or none of it??

Old 11-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

They will use just the rack and a small piece of the skull that holds it together. The rest is discarded. If you want it officially scored make sure to let your taxidermist know so they can score it before he starts cutting it up. Not sure if it matters but might be better to score it whole before the horns are cut off the head.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on nice buck
Old 12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

The rack can be officially scored after it has been removed, as long as the skull cap stays in tack. It must be scored prior to being mounted for official status as they need to ensure it hasn' t been altered(for spread). It is best to advise your taxidermist you would like it officially scored and do so after the 60 days expire asap. He will not have a problem as he' ll just flesh out the skull and freeze the cape until he can get on your mount. Often guys will pick up there horns for big buck nights, official scorings, etc from the taxi shop then return it when finished. He might know or be an official scorer as well, just tell him you want it scored and go from there. Only parts actually used are the cape and the skull cap and antlers...the rest is all artwork and molds.

Congrats on you deer and your new wall dressing[8D]
Old 12-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, congrats!!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:27 AM

Congrats on a super Buck

You must be real ugly though - cutting your head out of all the pictures

Where is Big Buck USA??
Old 12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' d say he' d be about 130 gross. Nice buck, congrats!

Quick Reply: Check out the buck I killed on Thanksgiving morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.