Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long should a Climbing stand last?

Old 11-26-2003, 10:28 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default How long should a Climbing stand last?

I bought a Warren and Sweat Master Climber this year in August. I tested it 3 times before bow season started and then used it probably 10-15 times. Saturday when I was up a tree I noticed that it has a small crack in one of the support arms on the foot portion. This is the piece that basicly holds you to the tree. I was trying to find an internet site for Warren and Sweat and can' t find it. I called the place I bought it and they said to bring it back. I don' t have the reciept but they said bring it back anyway. That makes me really glad I bought it at one of our better local gun/hunting/fishing shops. But it got me to wondering.

How long do you guys keep a climber before getting another one. how long should they last? As an added note, I weigh 207 lbs and this climber is rated for 250.

UPDATE: I took the stand to the place I bought it. They said that Warren and Sweat are out of business. As such, I am stuck and they can' t do anything for me. They said to hang on to it in case someone buys the company and then they would have to honor the warranty. What luck? Guess I' m a ground pounder for the rest of this year. I might be able to find a metal shop that can make another support arm since it just bolts onto the stand anyway.

David
Old 11-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long should a Climbing stand last?

It shouldn' t wear out. Basically you only buy new ones for new technology (lighter more compact etc)
Old 11-26-2003, 10:38 AM

DPV - i replied to you in the archery section. I agree w/ the other post. I have a loggy climber that was used for 12 years solid - I bought a new one this year just for some of the changes.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:52 AM

I used a homemade climber I built in 1983 up to 1991, finally replaced it with a store bought climber from API.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a climber that is rated for over 350 and I am 260 and mine has lasted 6 years so far. I hope it will last for a long time to come. I would say that you have to make sure that your stand is tested for your weight.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stands should last for a good many years. Incidentally, is yours steel or aluminum?
Old 11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I think it' s aluminum except for the blades that " bite " into the tree.

David
Old 11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I suppose it could have a defect in the metal, or perhaps it was stressed beyond its limit somehow. How much does your gear weigh?

I only trust steel for the latter reason, but of course it' s no fun hauling it a few miles down a trail.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:52 PM

If it is true that they went out of business, I would say they were using cheaper metal just to push the stands out and get the quick money to keep them in business.Because it should last alot longer than it did.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:59 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

The stand is rated for 250 I weigh 207. Throw on my fanny pack, clothes, boots you might get another 10 lbs in there. I during bow season I' m carrying a horton steelforce bow and during rifle season ( 2hunts onthis stand) my savage111 3006. All told I doubt I' m weighing in at 225 lbs. I usually carry 1- 20 ozbottle of water, a bag of beef jerkey and a candy bar in my fanny pack. I just don' t eat much or drink much while I' m hunting. I thought Warren and Sweat was a reputable company. Oh well. it' s all academic now. the bottom line is I need to repair my stand if possible and next year I need to buy another one.

David